Mareks? Lead poisoning?

We are trying!! Hopefully she can get her footing more stabilized. I am a little concerned there might be some neurological issues left because she still sometimes twists her neck and lays on it in a weird way (she still sometimes lays on her side and has to work to get up). Time will tell!
Well I think you're doing a great job and I hope she pulls through this.

Another update y’all, I got home and she was standing up and eating like a big girl! And then she started to walk on the hardwood floor which she has been struggling with badly the last few days. I sat on the floor and she walked all the way over to me into my lap!!! She has a little more ways to go with her neck but I am so proud of her and amazed at how far she has come!!

Attachments

• 17C001D8-F792-4B0D-8738-95D4D26FCBB0.jpeg
    17C001D8-F792-4B0D-8738-95D4D26FCBB0.jpeg
    468.2 KB · Views: 5
Another update y’all, I got home and she was standing up and eating like a big girl! And then she started to walk on the hardwood floor which she has been struggling with badly the last few days. I sat on the floor and she walked all the way over to me into my lap!!! She has a little more ways to go with her neck but I am so proud of her and amazed at how far she has come!!
This is astounding! Kudos to you for giving her a real chance.

Awesome. I'm so glad she is improving.
It really, really sounds like she got into some rat poison or some other poison. You'd expect that kind of reaction that eventually clears once the toxins are out of the system.

Hopefully she'll have 100% recovery. And of course a good canvassing around the place may help identify a possible source....my bet is the rat poison got tracked by a rat or squirrel.

LofMc

Final update and an amazing one!! The vet called and said the lead results were negative which is great. Y’all this girl has recovered just tremendously. The vet said he wouldn’t have bet on her surviving with how bad she looked last week. Her neck is 100% back to normal!! No twisting or hanging since yesterday morning. She can eat/drink completely on her own now so no more tube feeding! She’s got all of her quirk and spunk back and I’m just overjoyed at how she has progressed so well. Thank you everyone for your comments and support!

The next thing i’m wondering—— since she is still a pullet, will this affect her reproductive system? I figured only time will tell. If she doesn’t end up laying in the future that’s truly just fine. We’re just happy she’s here and made it through this :wee

Oh, and Roxy says hello :)
1E45A89F-1CB7-4399-BAE0-5C2ED6201AEC.jpeg

I'm so glad for your happy news.

I really think it was poison of some sort, likely the rat. That will clear over a few days with severe convulsions. If it doesn't kill them, they will recover. Likely she'll lay just fine.

Every bird I've ever had with Marek's once it got to the point of unable to stand, with neck twisted back, died. So I really doubt this was Marek's. Possible, but doubtful. Plus Marek's is paralysis not convulsions.

So glad she didn't get enough of whatever to kill her. Canvas your property for the root cause so it doesn't happen again.

LofMc

Back
Top Bottom