Mareks: Long-term prognosis

There are days when I just want to run screaming!!!!! I have a smaller coop that I had 7 chickens in, they were all vaccinated at the hatchery. I have never had them near the original 'carriers'. All were strong and healthy. 2 silkies, 1 polish (the one that I sent you a pic of), 1 bantam light brahma, 3 assorted cochins. They were doing great!!! No signs of illness...I was tickled pink. I got them last year at the beginning of August for my birthday. As you can see, they were getting old enough that they were nearly out of the woods. I had one tiny pullet in there, a partridge bantam cochin. She was laying like a champ. I let them out in their little yard...went inside for breakfast and a hawk got her
hit.gif
Just the day before I had lost my little OEGB roo...he was my all time favorite. After the loss of him and the hawk attack, I could have left and never returned....but then, who would take care of my critters
love.gif
So I persevere...

You must be devastated by losing so many! And yes, it's frequently one of the favorites.

When my little Polish got killed by a hawk, I had to work that night, and I was constantly running to the bathroom to cry.

They sure are fast. It just takes a minute. They must watch and wait. I never had a problem till now.

Maybe I am being dense ( always a possibility! : ), but if it doesn't seem to matter whether they have been vaccinated or not, why continue to do it?

Actually, your question is a good one. The vaccine for chickens to prevent their death from Marek's is a turkey strain of Marek's that will not kill the chicken. It will boost the chick's immunity to the lethal form of Marek's. There are vaccines used in Humans, that prevent lethal forms of disease...and I think Historically that small pox was once a killing disease that was largely eradicated by a vaccine for humans. I'm not a medical person. Someone on one of these threads long ago said that inside the chicken's body there is a race, does the lethal Marek's or the non-lethal Marek's win. If the non-lethal wins the virus race, the chick will survive if the lethal wins, the chick will die. This is one of the reasons the success rate is only 90%,

Would you like to give your newly hatched chicks that odds of a 90% survival rate? Thus vaccination is recommended but still not 100% guarantee.

Breeding birds that resist Marek's is a different approach. These birds will not die if exposed to Marek's they are immune.

I have two birds that were in a small pen with a pullet that died of Marek's. These two have survived despite sleeping next to, eating from the same feeder, drinking from the same waterer. All three birds came from the same source. I consider these two resistant to Marek's.

I guess the short answer is -- unless you know your bird is resistant to Marek's, then vaccinate to hope it is one of the 90% that won't succumb.

Rooster (Speach) has been moved from quarantine to an isolated breeding pen away from others. He still trembles perceptively and I was unable to flight test him. His endurance is degraded, inpart from extended confinement without the daily 100+ flights the free-ranging games and jungle fowl generally made. Feathering does not look crisp. He was allowed to free-range under direct supervision for a couple hours while I worked on yard. He prompty worked up a dusting site and took a thorough dust bath. He will be scrutenized closely for return of signs of Mareks.

I'm glad he's still with you. Your other chickens may have become somewhat resistant, which is good.

Is his weight good?

I have not put him on a scale lately but his muscle mass feels good although not quite peak. In respect to others, I think entire flock has been exposed all along. Some even in years prior to my becoming aware of Mareks.

When doing rounds tonight I will determine his weight.

#%AZ&! I walked down pens and Speach was not in his. He forced his way out and made to front porch. Pen needs serious work!

Speach (red jungle fowl x American game) weighs 1416 grams which is a little less than his half-sister by same father,

Tippy (American game pullet) that weigh in at 1560 grams. He should be a little less than Tippy but I have npt had enough F1 hybrids to know how they compare to my pure games. I am still learning about my pure games since this only second year of following individuals over multiple years in respect to season, age and reproductive activity.

Speach. His left leg is still a little weak.

Tippy. She pecks something fierce while handled with lights off. Does not hurt but intent is recognized.

Last edited:
I hope you folks don't mind my adding a question to this thread...
I have a 24 week old Welsummer pullet with Marek like symptoms. She can't use her right leg at all. She is able to stand briefly on her left, but falls over on her face if she tries to walk.I would say I noticed she was a bit off about two weeks ago, at first I thought she had some sort of neck injury, until she became less & less mobile. I have kept her separated from the others in her own pen for about ten days now. She eats and drinks well, but the paralysis does not appear to be improving. Is this something that runs its course eventually, or should I accept the fact that I have to cull her?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom