Mareks: Long-term prognosis

I can't believe it!!! When it rains, it pours. I have 4 kids, my oldest is 25. She is the only one that ever broke anything...her wrist. Now, this! Knee problems are hereditary in my family so it's no shock that two out of 4 have those...but, men rarely have subluxing patella problems...I guess my son, Zach, just got lucky! Boy does he miss going out to his chickens! Here's a pic of him with our little Serama roo...

He was stuck sleeping in our family room for several weeks since he couldn't make it up the stairs...Lance decided he would act as his alarm clock...

Which brings me to one of the most important reasons to keep going...

Thanks for letting me share some of the more pleasant sides to chicken keeping :) These two guys make it worth the effort to keep going...they depend on me and I won't let them down!

It is devastating. I am always feeling them at night. My rooster has NO fat on his body. And you would never know, he is big with big full feathers, my fingers have to dig real deep to get to his keel bone. He's one of those roos who will never take a treat in front of his girls. When I had him penned a few months ago, a hen would walk by the pen, and he would pick up a piece of food, walk over and drop it near her even with the pen between them. His 2 hatchmates, 2 years ago, wasted and died about 4 months apart. A Blue Orpington, and a Blue laced red Wyandotte.

Leadwolf, you seem to have alot of bone injuries going on there!

And Robin, yes, that's what helps me get past some of this is that they were given a good chicken life.

Thanks, he is the best little rooster :) He is spoiled rotten and loves all the attention :) ..and we love him right back :) Now, if I could only find him some vaccinated women :) I've tried hatching...haven't had any luck with seramas :(

Just have to share one more pic...

Have you tried hatchery vaccinated?

No luck with Seramas? As in hatching? From what I've heard and what I've experienced, hatches are not great. I did Seramas, and got 3 out of a dozen, then D'Uccles, and got 2 out of a dozen.

I would like to have some vaccinated seramas for him. If not, I guess I could try japanese bantams or dutch. I'm not having any luck with my OEGBs, even vaccinated, I only have one left out of 4 :(

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that can't get a decent hatch with seramas :(

Last edited:
#%AZ&! I walked down pens and Speach was not in his. He forced his way out and made to front porch. Pen needs serious work!

Speach (red jungle fowl x American game) weighs 1416 grams which is a little less than his half-sister by same father,

Tippy (American game pullet) that weigh in at 1560 grams. He should be a little less than Tippy but I have npt had enough F1 hybrids to know how they compare to my pure games. I am still learning about my pure games since this only second year of following individuals over multiple years in respect to season, age and reproductive activity.

Speach. His left leg is still a little weak.

Tippy. She pecks something fierce while handled with lights off. Does not hurt but intent is recognized.

Speach looks quite good. Here's hoping his recovery continues. Can't help but think that he had the ability to get out, and wanted to come to the porch to be with you. Pretty smart little rooster.

Speach looks quite good. Here's hoping his recovery continues. Can't help but think that he had the ability to get out, and wanted to come to the porch to be with you. Pretty smart little rooster.

I am not sure he wants to be with me, rather I think has strong preferences for what he considers a quality roost. The forcing his way out of a pen is his half jungle fowl showing through, and my needing to repair a pen.

He has been outside in pen for three nights now and recovery is continuing. Episode has degraded his feathering a bit so ladies would take that into consideration as to whether he is somebody they would want to roost / breed with.

As you say:

He has been outside in pen for three nights now and recovery is continuing. Episode has degraded his feathering a bit so ladies would take that into consideration as to whether he is somebody they would want to roost / breed with.

IMO

It may take just a little while to get back those top-notch beautiful feathers after all he has been through. And yes, he is pretty smart to know where the best roost is.

Seminole wind---

could you elaborate on the pupil distortion, or where to find the info? Is it in Merck Vet manual? Thanks.
This is what I could find right now. The left is normal. My one roo had one eye that just got opaque. Another distortion is the pupil is not perfectly round, it's misshapen. I will have to try to find a pic of the distortion, or maybe Centrarchid or Leadwolf has a reference.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom