Marek's or just a lazy hen?

CentralCluck

In the Brooder
May 18, 2022
Hello everyone! I currently have 5 hens

I used to have 6 and one of my youngest passed away, ended up being (what the lab concluded) Marek's. She had multiple tumors etc. (I had separated her to a small coop when she first acted odd and hens picked on her.. she seemed fine otherwise so thought it was just a pecking order issue) (she took weeks to show me any distress)

Anyway, now my almost year old hen who is basically head honcho in the coop is acting like this from time to time in AM. They have just eaten and some still eating. She started to just plop/roost there and will preen and today she started to fall asleep. She's otherwise fine. On and off diarrhea (I dewormed them 2 weeks ago) eats, drinks, and forages fine. Wants treats and is responding when called.

I have been providing them with vitamins and electrolytes.

Could this just be a hen who's semi tired in AM or the start of an ailment?
I have calls in with vets, just waiting on call backs.
TIA 😊

Attachments

• 20220518_065755.jpg
    20220518_065755.jpg
    623.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220518_065701.jpg
    20220518_065701.jpg
    640.1 KB · Views: 1
Does sound a bit lethargic to me. Sunning and sleeping is one thing (all my hens will take a nap in the sunshine).

Hmmm....I'd just watch her to see if this continues. If she is mostly up and running, scratching, eating, drinking, pooing, and just occasionally takes a siesta (or the same time each day takes a siesta), it could just be enjoying life.

However, if she really stays set apart from the flock, fluffed, huddled, and sleeping (which is what she might look like in the photo), it would be a sign of illness.

My thoughts.
LofMc

Back
Top Bottom