Marek's or what?

HeatherChickenMom

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2021
Ok, let's start with some background. I have 7 chickens, 4 over a year old and 3 that are still growing that I purchased from a hatchery and had them vaccinated (for Marek's). Like a fool, I decided to buy 3 from a local breeder who were not vaccinated. I ended up with 2 hens and a rooster in that bunch. One of the hens JUST started laying 2 weeks ago and right around that time she went lame. She can sort of hobble around, but can't roost. There are no signs of injury, no bumblefoot. She is fed Kalmbach 17% layer pellets. She also used to spend most of her day free ranging. I offer oyster shell in case they want/need it.

Once she went lame, I separated her from the flock and she has spent a week in my garage. I've been giving her yogurt with crushed up B complex (which also contains calcium), D, E and Selenium. I'm seeing zero improvement. Is it too soon for the vitamins to help? Should I chock this up to Marek's and have my husband cull her?

Other things to note....she is eating, but not great. She does devour the yogurt though. She seems perky. She has laid 2 eggs since her lameness with very thin shells, but also 2 with normal shells. This of course is only adding to my uncertainty. I've noticed the last 2 days she has had a lot of diarrhea as well.

Thoughts from you chicken pros???

Any pics? I'd hang in there. Chickens can be pretty hardy. Are you sure she was not injured? If you have changed her diet ie yougart that can cause diarrhea too. but I do the same when I move them in house. Easy to force feed yougart. as long as they are eating its a good sign.

Have you felt her vent?

I agree with the above poster that changes in diet can cause diarrhea. It’s always good when they’re eating.

I’m sure drinking is ok too?

Usually, Mareks is respiratory. Is she having any trouble breathing? Any sores or oddities around the body?

Any pics? I'd hang in there. Chickens can be pretty hardy. Are you sure she was not injured? If you have changed her diet ie yougart that can cause diarrhea too. but I do the same when I move them in house. Easy to force feed yougart. as long as they are eating its a good sign.
I’ve checked her over several times. Had my husband help with that too. No obvious injuries. She started with one foot lame and then the other followed within a day or two. The yogurt is the only change to her diet.

Have you felt her vent?

I agree with the above poster that changes in diet can cause diarrhea. It’s always good when they’re eating.

I’m sure drinking is ok too?

Usually, Mareks is respiratory. Is she having any trouble breathing? Any sores or oddities around the body?
No trouble breathing, just panting because it’s hotter than blazes here. I have a fan on her, she only pants when we take our daily trips to the front yard for some fresh air and sunshine.
She has no sores or mites or lice that we have seen.

Ok, let's start with some background. I have 7 chickens, 4 over a year old and 3 that are still growing that I purchased from a hatchery and had them vaccinated (for Marek's). Like a fool, I decided to buy 3 from a local breeder who were not vaccinated. I ended up with 2 hens and a rooster in that bunch. One of the hens JUST started laying 2 weeks ago and right around that time she went lame. She can sort of hobble around, but can't roost. There are no signs of injury, no bumblefoot. She is fed Kalmbach 17% layer pellets. She also used to spend most of her day free ranging. I offer oyster shell in case they want/need it.

Once she went lame, I separated her from the flock and she has spent a week in my garage. I've been giving her yogurt with crushed up B complex (which also contains calcium), D, E and Selenium. I'm seeing zero improvement. Is it too soon for the vitamins to help? Should I chock this up to Marek's and have my husband cull her?

Other things to note....she is eating, but not great. She does devour the yogurt though. She seems perky. She has laid 2 eggs since her lameness with very thin shells, but also 2 with normal shells. This of course is only adding to my uncertainty. I've noticed the last 2 days she has had a lot of diarrhea as well.

Thoughts from you chicken pros???
in my experience, Marek's is usually fast and relentless

Back
Top Bottom