Marek's survival???Pic added while sick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by luvchicks8, Oct 9, 2010.

1. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Can chickens survive marek's and not have any limp or sign's at all in a matter of 2-3 weeks????

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  2. luvchicks8

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Oh chicken is 11 weeks old not sure if that matters though.

Diannastarr likes this.
  3. luvchicks8

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Any guesses?

Diannastarr likes this.
  4. Cochin378

Cochin378 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2010
    Marek's disease is not survivable. Our flock got Marek's a couple of years ago from one bird that we got at a swapping sale and it spread like wild fire. Marek's is spread by the birds or their feathers.So you could step on a feather of an infected bird and bring it to your flock on your shoe. We ended up culling the infected birds and bleaching everything. I think culling the bird before the disease spreads is your best option because I would rather have one dead chicken than an entire flock of dieing chickens.

Diannastarr likes this.
  5. luvchicks8

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Well then I am not sure what happened to my cochin so far I have been told Mareks or moldy food. Her symtoms were stumbling like she was drinking a sagging wing and when she fell she could not get up on her own. I put her on vit b12 crushed in food, tetracyclene and poly vi sol. Two weeks later she is up and running around like nothing happend to her? I am very stumped and afraid to put her in with my birds again. Any idea what could have caused this. No other birds have been sick but two had lice that I treated.

Diannastarr likes this.
  6. Momo

Momo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    Nelson BC
    Those symptoms don't sound like Marek's, more like a vitamin deficiency. I wouldn't be too worried.

Diannastarr likes this.
  7. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    Maybe a vitiman def. I had some birds we thought had Mareks but it was lack of vitamin B or E if I remember right.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
    Diannastarr likes this.
  8. luvchicks8

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Thats awesome I have been so concerned about her and infecting my flock:) Huge relief.

Diannastarr likes this.
  9. clayhill

clayhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    Lee County, Arkansas
    It's my understanding that chicks can "survive" Marek's, BUT usually will die of tumors later in life. Generally about the time they mature or shortly after. Also, they can remain carriers of the disease and spread it to others. I am fighting Marek's now in a flock of Columbian Rocks, started with 18 in April, down to 8. I have also lost 3 of my 2-year old Barred Rocks, I'm not sure if it's related, but I suspect it is. I would advise everyone to have day-olds vaccinated. I know I will never add any that have not been vaccinated. I plan to hatch some columbians in the spring if I ever get any eggs from my four remaining pullets. I WILL order the vaccine before that time. Hope your problem is not Marek's, I would not wish that on anyone.

Diannastarr and NancyNurseCxMama like this.
  10. luvchicks8

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    I hope not it has been 3 weeks no other chickens have been sick yet. It took 2 weeks for her to totally recover. No symptoms in a week now [​IMG]

Diannastarr likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by