Marek's: The death of my chicken dreams?

Chickstarrs

Crowing
May 6, 2020
Ontario, Canada
I am very discouraged. I had plans for my chickens that now seem dead. :(

I just started with my flock this spring. I had plans to build my little flock with certain breeds, then close it and raise my own chicks. I wanted colourful eggs; for my family, to sell and to donate to charitable groups like Women’s House, local soup kitchens and food banks. I planned to re-home any extra roosters or have them processed for the freezer.

COVID has made things very difficult. There were no chickens available from hatcheries (and they didn’t have the breeds I was looking for anyway). There were choices on line from home breeders. So I purchased from 4 different sources. 3 mixed breed laying hens, 4 Australorp day-old chicks, 4 one week old EE’s (which turned out to be barnyard mixes), and 2 legbar pullets chicks that were 3 weeks old. Everything was going great and I loved having my chickens.

Then one of the legbars decided to roost in the nesting box. I put her on the roost and didn’t think much more about it until the next day. I had to put her on the roost again but she fell right off and couldn’t seem to walk properly. I thought maybe she was hurt so I checked her out and let her stay in the nest box. Well the next day she could not walk at all. I put her in a box and moved her to the garage. She got worse from there, unable to control most of her body. She hung on for a couple more days until I decided that was enough and my husband put her down. 2 weeks later, one of the Australorp pullets started limping and sitting back on her haunches. Shoot! But she never got any worse and kept up with the others while free ranging and was able to roost.

After a week my husband came in one morning to say that one of the chickens died overnight. I was sure it was that pullet, but it was the Australorp cockerel. He was fine the night before and then just dead on the coop floor in the morning. The other chickens were all putting up quite a fuss about it. There were no injuries on him. Interestingly, my Australorp pullet has been walking better the last few days.

Fast forward another week and my other legbar wobbles. :hit. She did not decline quite as quickly as the first but was definitely going the same direction. I separated her. When she got to the point where both legs were not moving, I called the vet. They put her down and sent her for a necropsy. The news came yesterday, Marek’s. She also had coccidiosis. So I started treating with Amprolium today.

I tried to do everything right with advice from BYC and other sources. I keep my coop clean, much cleaner than many others I have seen. I fed all my chicks medicated starter for the first few months. They get fresh water and food everyday. They have plenty of room.

Just one of those things? :confused:😢

So now I am wondering what will happen with my plans. My two blue egg layers are gone.😢 Are certain breeds more susceptible to Marek’s? Am I limited to buying vaccinated chicks, which means I am also limited to what breeds are available? (it is very limited in my part of Canada) That also gets expensive and then having to use the brooder every time. I was really looking forward to hatching my own chicks with broodies. There’s nothing like watching a mother hen doting over her chicks. What do I do with excess roosters? (apparently the only processing place has a year waiting list!) We are not set up to process them ourselves, and I am not sure I could do it.

Sorry for the lengthy post. Just frustrated and discouraged.

Sorry about your diagnosis, but Mareks can last in your environment for months to years. Each chicken that was exposed to the sick birds will be carriers for life even if they. do not ever show symptoms. No birds should ever leave hour flock since their feather dander is contagious. Vaccinated birds still may get the disease, but might not show signs. I would read as much material as you can about the disease, and then proceed in how to handle this. Some of your birds may never get sick, but you may lose a number of them. If you chose to get vaccinated chicks, make sure they do not get exposed to the dander of the chickens in your flock for 2-3 weeks to develop immunity. Here is some reading, and you will find more articles online:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

this is why I will not buy peoples chickens I only order from hatcheries never has a problem with hatcheries

I am very discouraged. I had plans for my chickens that now seem dead. :(

I just started with my flock this spring. I had plans to build my little flock with certain breeds, then close it and raise my own chicks. I wanted colourful eggs; for my family, to sell and to donate to charitable groups like Women’s House, local soup kitchens and food banks. I planned to re-home any extra roosters or have them processed for the freezer.

COVID has made things very difficult. There were no chickens available from hatcheries (and they didn’t have the breeds I was looking for anyway). There were choices on line from home breeders. So I purchased from 4 different sources. 3 mixed breed laying hens, 4 Australorp day-old chicks, 4 one week old EE’s (which turned out to be barnyard mixes), and 2 legbar pullets chicks that were 3 weeks old. Everything was going great and I loved having my chickens.

Then one of the legbars decided to roost in the nesting box. I put her on the roost and didn’t think much more about it until the next day. I had to put her on the roost again but she fell right off and couldn’t seem to walk properly. I thought maybe she was hurt so I checked her out and let her stay in the nest box. Well the next day she could not walk at all. I put her in a box and moved her to the garage. She got worse from there, unable to control most of her body. She hung on for a couple more days until I decided that was enough and my husband put her down. 2 weeks later, one of the Australorp pullets started limping and sitting back on her haunches. Shoot! But she never got any worse and kept up with the others while free ranging and was able to roost.

After a week my husband came in one morning to say that one of the chickens died overnight. I was sure it was that pullet, but it was the Australorp cockerel. He was fine the night before and then just dead on the coop floor in the morning. The other chickens were all putting up quite a fuss about it. There were no injuries on him. Interestingly, my Australorp pullet has been walking better the last few days.

Fast forward another week and my other legbar wobbles. :hit. She did not decline quite as quickly as the first but was definitely going the same direction. I separated her. When she got to the point where both legs were not moving, I called the vet. They put her down and sent her for a necropsy. The news came yesterday, Marek’s. She also had coccidiosis. So I started treating with Amprolium today.

I tried to do everything right with advice from BYC and other sources. I keep my coop clean, much cleaner than many others I have seen. I fed all my chicks medicated starter for the first few months. They get fresh water and food everyday. They have plenty of room.

Just one of those things? :confused:😢

So now I am wondering what will happen with my plans. My two blue egg layers are gone.😢 Are certain breeds more susceptible to Marek’s? Am I limited to buying vaccinated chicks, which means I am also limited to what breeds are available? (it is very limited in my part of Canada) That also gets expensive and then having to use the brooder every time. I was really looking forward to hatching my own chicks with broodies. There’s nothing like watching a mother hen doting over her chicks. What do I do with excess roosters? (apparently the only processing place has a year waiting list!) We are not set up to process them ourselves, and I am not sure I could do it.

Sorry for the lengthy post. Just frustrated and discouraged.
If you give up, you have lost. Im so sorry for your trouble but you can choose to look at it as a learning experience, a painfull one yes, but a learning experience none the less. Its ok to feel bad, just dont let it destroy your dream, dont give it that power. After doing more homework and feeling better, try again, learn from the bad experience and try to correct what went wrong. Your dream dies only if you allow it to.

I sympathize and send love... losing chickens is no fun :hugs

I'm going through something similar. My lab necropsy didn't give a formal diagnosis of Markes, but I did lose a bird due to suspicious circumstances. I've been in touch with multiple other people who bought their birds from the same farm as me and who have lost a number of birds now too, all to Mareks. We were all first time chicken owners, so it almost assuredly came from the farm and is in my flock, even if my birds didn't get a 100% positive Mareks diagnosis.

I hope you find some peace with it all and come up with a plan that works for you. I think I've made up my mind on what I want to do. The hens that are still alive are staying and will live out their life here happily. In the spring I'm going to add some vaccinated chicks from a hatchery and try to keep on enjoying chickens, even though I will not be letting any birds leave my property or hatch any chicks of my own.

Its a massive bummer but I've decided to try and be positive about it. At least I still get to keep chickens, which really does make me happy even if things didn't go to plan.

Sorry about your diagnosis, but Mareks can last in your environment for months to years. Each chicken that was exposed to the sick birds will be carriers for life even if they. do not ever show symptoms. No birds should ever leave hour flock since their feather dander is contagious. Vaccinated birds still may get the disease, but might not show signs. I would read as much material as you can about the disease, and then proceed in how to handle this. Some of your birds may never get sick, but you may lose a number of them. If you chose to get vaccinated chicks, make sure they do not get exposed to the dander of the chickens in your flock for 2-3 weeks to develop immunity. Here is some reading, and you will find more articles online:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/
I have read that article several times while all this was going on. What I am curious about is that if Marek's is so wide spread and easily transferred from one place to another, is there any way to keep it out of a flock or is it just a matter of time before it makes it's way in. Even with good biosecurity, the chances of it getting into the flock seem pretty high. If that is the case, it would be likely that all backyard flocks have it.

I sympathize and send love... losing chickens is no fun :hugs

I'm going through something similar. My lab necropsy didn't give a formal diagnosis of Markes, but I did lose a bird due to suspicious circumstances. I've been in touch with multiple other people who bought their birds from the same farm as me and who have lost a number of birds now too, all to Mareks. We were all first time chicken owners, so it almost assuredly came from the farm and is in my flock, even if my birds didn't get a 100% positive Mareks diagnosis.

I hope you find some peace with it all and come up with a plan that works for you. I think I've made up my mind on what I want to do. The hens that are still alive are staying and will live out their life here happily. In the spring I'm going to add some vaccinated chicks from a hatchery and try to keep on enjoying chickens, even though I will not be letting any birds leave my property or hatch any chicks of my own.

Its a massive bummer but I've decided to try and be positive about it. At least I still get to keep chickens, which really does make me happy even if things didn't go to plan.
I still have 10 chickens left so far. I don't know how many will make it through the winter. I will continue with these and rethink my plans. I have a lovely new coop that needs to be occupied one way or another.

I'm no Chicken expert, I'm new to back yard chickens. I can understand the sadness you feel. I'm 75 and retired 5 years ago. I had an experience some years ago, I raised and sold Brangus heifers, and in one pasture a few got sick and started dieing the vet could not figure out what was wrong. but it was obvious that it looked like all were going to get it. We had 40 heifers in the pasture I made the decision to put them all down. to make a long story short if I were you I would put them all down and start with new chicks from a good hatchery. I bought my chicks from Ideal poultry. They ship the day they hatch and I got them the next day. Please do not take this the wrong way. What happened was not your fault. All your Chicks were exposed.

I'm so sad for your bad news. I was following your thread about new introductions and your plans for the winter... I can understand how you are feeling now.
But, listen to the @DouglasB words: never give up on your dreams

Back
Top Bottom