Marek's Vaccination for a chicks for a new flock

AmericanKraut

Songster
5 Years
Jun 2, 2014
Minnesota
Hello! I'm a new member here and starting a flock this spring. I won't have any other chickens so my chicks will be the first. The hatchery can do Marek's vax for $1 a bird. Do you recommend that as a good idea or is it unlikely to be an issue since these are new baby chicks and not going to join an existing flock?

Thanks for your suggestions!

Since hatcheries aren't specifically breeding for disease resistance, I would pay the extra for the vaccination. The Mereks virus is everywhere and also you never know what will happen in the future. Your neighbors could get chickens, someone could dump some unwanted birds at your place, or you may buy more birds

Do you have wild turkeys in your area? They carry a less virulent strain of Mareks, which helps your flock to develop natural resistance. Like so many choices regarding poultry care, there is no one right answer. Educate yourself, and make informend decisions that are right for you. As I understand it, the vaccine does not prevent the chicks from getting Mareks, but makes the disease not as deadly. So, your flock can still be infected with it, just not show it.

Back
Top Bottom