Mareks Vaccination Poll

I don't hatch my own but if I did I'd absolutely vax them for Mareks. I got mine from McMurray and had them do it.

Quote:
Somewhere in my "chicken books" I've read where one author recommends against vaccinating backyard flocks. My concern is that I'm definitely in poultry country and there is many commercial houses close by (2-3 miles for the closest ones). Maybe I should've added "not in poultry country"/"in poultry country" choices in the poll.
idunno.gif

Ed

Quote:
Somewhere in my "chicken books" I've read where one author recommends against vaccinating backyard flocks. My concern is that I'm definitely in poultry country and there is many commercial houses close by (2-3 miles for the closest ones). Maybe I should've added "not in poultry country"/"in poultry country" choices in the poll.
idunno.gif

Ed

I have commercial houses all around me. In fact, we are the only farm in our area without commercial houses (although there used to be two that were owned by DH's family). My ag. ext. agent still did not recommend vaccination. If you think about it, the commercial birds are vaccinated for everything under the sun.

Ya got a point, gritstar. I'm still undecided, but leaning to "not" vaccinating. I've got a while to decide, though, as things are progressing *slowly* for me.
sad.png

Ah well, it'll all come together!!!
smile.png

Take care,
Ed

Here is the poll results ...FWIW
smile.png

Thanks to all that participated!
Ed
===============================

Poll to determine whether backyard chicken growers vaccinate their day old hatched chicks for Mareks disease or others.

Do you vaccinate your day old chicks that you hatch?

61% (33) No, and I have had no problems
3% (2) No, but I have had problems
33% (18) Yes, and I have had no problems
1% (1) Yes, but I have had problems

54 voters have answered this question.

Back
Top Bottom