Mareks vaccine day 3?

pugspigchicks

Songster
6 Years
Apr 3, 2017
USA
hi all. I’m assuming the Mareks vaccine is given on day 1 to help provide protection before any exposure. I have chicks in the incubator and some are due to hatch next Saturday and others on Monday. Can I vaccinate all of them on Monday or is the day 1 recommendation important for other reasons? Thanks so much

Do them all day one.

I’ll have to buy 2 different Marek vaccines then. The vaccine has to be used within an hour of reconstituting it. I was hoping the day 1 wasn’t crucial since they won’t be exposed to anything...the vaccine is 1000 doses and I’m only expecting 25 chicks over a 2-3day period.

I’ll have to buy 2 different Marek vaccines then. The vaccine has to be used within an hour of reconstituting it. I was hoping the day 1 wasn’t crucial since they won’t be exposed to anything...the vaccine is 1000 doses and I’m only expecting 25 chicks over a 2-3day period.
I never Mereks vaccinate my Chicks I hatch.

This is the most accurate info I have seen on Marek's...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

I agree that day 1 is key... maybe find someone to split the vaccine with?

Personally Marek's vaccinated chicks and birds NOT welcome at my place to help hide the disease. It doesn't stop them from contracting it... it JUST hides or diminishes the symptoms IF they do get it, allowing it to thrive and proliferate among your flock. I rather stop it dead in it's tracks! But I do realize we all have different thought processes and conditions... so I'm just sharing mine. It's a very personal choice.

Good luck and happy hatching! :jumpy:jumpy

Back
Top Bottom