Mareks? Vet says Coccidia.

she is eating well and is very alert. She is eating mostly layer crumbles and some romaine and scrambled egg. One foot was curled to begin with but I have been keeping her feet straight when in the hammock and now the toes stay straight for longer time. Day 5 still no movement in legs. Looked for avian vet and there is one 2 hours away. Stopped the B vitamins like you said and doing the corrid doses like you recommended. one leg is warming up while the other still feels cool. The electrolytes have vitamins in it. Should I continue them?

Do legs get cold with paralysis? Almost sounds more like a circulation issue. Have there been any changes in the appearance of her feet? Swelling or possibly the cold one looking paler than the other? When you mentioned she occasionally moves the one leg, do you mean when you pinch her toes, that's her reaction? If she does not react to a pinch, then that's a sign she has no feeling in the leg - meaning some form of paralysis.
You've looked her back over thoroughly for bruising around the base of the spine, right? It can take up to 3 days after injury to start showing up and bruising is green in chickens.

looked her over and don't see any bruising or injuries. pinched her feet and there is no reaction, not even in the one that had a little movement. No clutching of feet either. Just limp legs and toes. Soak her in warm water, exercise legs and feet, put her on warm pad on my lap and give her support. Dont know what else to do besides drive 2 hours to Nashville to see avian vet. Something must have happened cause she was fine right before this or its a disease only blocking her legs nerves. She can move everything else even wings and tail. :( Give her another week or so and if no improvement I will have to make a decision. Dont like to give up but have to weigh what is humane for her. I read about metacam helping. will do full treatment of corrid and after that the vitamin B.

Sorry that there is no movement at all, but glad that she is eating. Unfortunately it is hard to know if it is positively Mareks or not without testing. That is usually done with a necropsy by the state vet, but a few labs will test a feather shaft or blood serum if it can be drawn. There have been a few cases where there was an infection in an abdominal organ that caused pressure on the sciatic nerves, causing lameness. The vet might throw some antibiotics just to see if it caused any improvement, but bloodwork might also show infection.

Tonight she is drinking on her own if I bring a teaspoon to her beak! She eating like a horse. Still no leg movement but one leg is body temp now and the other is unfortunately cold. She tries to move with her wings but legs are a no go. Maybe its a start to recovery. Maybe.

So sorry to hear of your loss. Were you getting any testing or a necropsy to get a diagnosis? It would be good just to find out if it wasn’t Mareks to ease your mind.,
I told the vet no necropsy but tonight I wish I had them do it. I just went out to shut the door to the run and found my Silver Laced Wyandotte on the ground. She isn't paralyzed so Im hoping she just fell off roost and couldn't see to get back up do to the dark. Will check on her before I go to bed to make sure she still is up there. I know its Mareks if she goes the same way as the last. Wonder if I should I do the emergency dose of Corid in their water. Do chickens ever survive Mareks? Will I loose all my birds if it is Mareks? Praying that I will not loose any more. Never had problems before. Local Co-op and vet said with the weather people are losing allot of chickens this year to Coccidia.

I told the vet no necropsy but tonight I wish I had them do it. I just went out to shut the door to the run and found my Silver Laced Wyandotte on the ground. She isn't paralyzed so Im hoping she just fell off roost and couldn't see to get back up do to the dark. Will check on her before I go to bed to make sure she still is up there. I know its Mareks if she goes the same way as the last. Wonder if I should I do the emergency dose of Corid in their water. Do chickens ever survive Mareks? Will I loose all my birds if it is Mareks? Praying that I will not loose any more. Never had problems before. Local Co-op and vet said with the weather people are losing allot of chickens this year to Coccidia.
She is still up on the roost so I think she just got pushed off in a squabble and too dark to fly back up. Fingers crossed until the morning. Going to totally rake out and sanitize the coup, kennel, and run. Fresh water with Corid and new nesting material in nest boxes and hope for the best.

Back
Top Bottom