Mareks? vitamin deficiency? Injury?

Htxchicks

Songster
Nov 29, 2020
I have a 3-week old chick that I found unable to walk. I don’t know what happened to it because I was away for a few days. My S/O was feeding and watering them and found my Brahma laying on its back wedged between feeder and brooder wall.

I separated and have been giving electrolytes and vitamin E. The chick has improved a bunch since I started the regimen but still seems to have balance issues.
The first day she could not even stand on her own. She does breath a little heavy and I’m very concerned about the possibility of mareks. She did lots of stumbling and getting stuck on her side for about 48 hrs. She still stumbles forward and backwards but has regained her ability to stand on her own.

she is vaccinated for cocci and mareks. However I know the vaccine isn’t 100% her behavior very much mirrored videos I’ve seen of mareks.

How do I know what this chick has?

Assuming you purchased this chick from a hatchery as it's been vaccinated?
Do you have other chicks/chickens?
How long has it been exhibiting these symptoms; unstable on feet, heavy breathing?
What are you feeding?

It's very possible it's a vitamin deficiency (Riboflavin/B2) ... Vitamin E is recommended for Wry Neck. Try boiled egg yolk or liver mixed with it's feed, supplement with foods higher in Riboflavin.

It's also possible it's got an inner ear problem, does it tilt to one side more than the other?
A video would help ... Upload to YouTube then link it here.

Assuming you purchased this chick from a hatchery as it's been vaccinated?
Do you have other chicks/chickens?
How long has it been exhibiting these symptoms; unstable on feet, heavy breathing?
What are you feeding?

It's very possible it's a vitamin deficiency (Riboflavin/B2) ... Vitamin E is recommended for Wry Neck. Try boiled egg yolk or liver mixed with it's feed, supplement with foods higher in Riboflavin.

It's also possible it's got an inner ear problem, does it tilt to one side more than the other?
A video would help ... Upload to YouTube then link it here.
I wasn’t able to get a good video that really shows it. She has only improved since I started VIT E and sav a chick. If it was mareks she would be getting worse right?

she is from a local breeder who does so on a large scale and also orders bulk from hatchery and resells. All chicks from her come vaccinated regardless of source.

Mareks symptoms do not occur that early. It may be that she suffered some injury or may have become dehydrated when she was stuck. I would give her some poultry vitamins with riboflavin or a crushed vitamin B complex 1/4 tablet daily in a few drops of water or food. Make sure that she is getting food and water often.

Mareks symptoms do not occur that early. It may be that she suffered some injury or may have become dehydrated when she was stuck. I would give her some poultry vitamins with riboflavin or a crushed vitamin B complex 1/4 tablet daily in a few drops of water or food. Make sure that she is getting food and water often.
Thank you that is what I have been doing I just checked on her again and she is up running around and flapping her wings.

As someone that’s only had chickens for a year I didn’t want to assume I was correct about it being a injury/vitamin thing. Especially when I didn’t personally see how it started.

I really appreciate the information and posters on this message board!

How long before she started improving...I have a chick with similar symptoms
Chick was completely better after 72 hrs . I separated her 48 hrs. Made sure she had a lid with water and food in reaching distance. Used towels to prop her up so she wouldn’t fall and struggle. Used sav a chick and vitamin e capsules.

chick is big and strong now.

Thank you SO MUCH. That makes me feel better
No problem. I think making sure the chick is comfortable in some sort of sling is very important. The panting could be from stress because it can’t stand. Chickens will pant from stress hopefully it’s not respiratory. Try and listen to its breathing for wheezing and gurgling noises.

Back
Top Bottom