Mareks vs Cocchi

aldanfac

Songster
Apr 16, 2023
Maryland, USA
Can someone educate me to the best of their knowledge the difference between these Mareks and Cocchi.. I am at a loss for why my chick passed so suddenly and and so beyond worried it’s Mareks :( I have been doing as much research as possible but can’t find anything describing significant differences.. please help

Coccidia are microscopic, single celled parasites that infect the intestinal tract. They can cause Coccidiosis, which is an infection often accompanied by diarrhea (often bloody) and lethargy. Weight loss and crop issues are also sometimes noted. This can be diagnosed through a fecal float by a vet. Coccidiosis is most common in chicks around "brooder age". Week old to 7ish weeks. Older birds can get it, it's just much less common.

Marek's is a viral disease caused by the Herpes virus. There are different types of Marek's: Ocular, cutaneous, neural, and visceral. The form most people experience is neural. Symptoms include limping, and then paralysis of usually one leg. Sometimes sudden onset paralysis of one leg. Sometimes that progresses to both legs. Lethargy, weight loss, seizures, and crop issues have also been known to follow. This can only be diagnosed through necropsy by a state AG vet. Marek's is most common is birds 12-30 weeks of age. I've never personally seen it affect younger than 12 weeks. I have seen it affect ages up to about a year.

Last edited:
Coccidia are microscopic, single celled parasites that infect the intestinal tract. They can cause Coccidiosis, which is an infection often accompanied by diarrhea (often bloody) and lethargy. Weight loss and crop issues are also sometimes noted. This can be diagnosed through a fecal float by a vet. Coccidiosis is most common in chicks around "brooder age". Week old to 7ish weeks. Older birds can get it, it's just much less common.

Marek's is a viral disease caused by the Herpes virus. There are different types of Marek's: Ocular, cutaneous, neural, and visceral. The form most people experience is neural. Symptoms include limping, and then paralysis of usually one leg. Sometimes sudden onset paralysis of one leg. Sometimes that progresses to both legs. Lethargy, weight loss, seizures, and crop issues have also been known to follow. This can only be diagnosed through necropsy by a state AG vet. Marek's is most common is birds 12-30 weeks of age. I've never personally seen it affect younger than 12 weeks. I have seen it affect ages up to about a year.
Thank you so much this is very very helpful I don’t understand why it was so hard to find anything on it that was clear and concise. I think my chicks have cocci but they aren’t pooping blood so that’s why I am so nervous.. They are thin though.. corrid is coming asap but does it sound like Mareks to you? there’s no paralysis that’s why i just am so confused.. the one chick just died within hours of me noticing symptoms and being fine that morning

Thank you so much this is very very helpful I don’t understand why it was so hard to find anything on it that was clear and concise. I think my chicks have cocci but they aren’t pooping blood so that’s why I am so nervous.. They are thin though.. corrid is coming asap but does it sound like Mareks to you? there’s no paralysis that’s why i just am so confused.. the one chick just died within hours of me noticing symptoms and being fine that morning
It wouldn't be cocci, but coccidia. Both are different.

How old are they? Chicks with Coccidiosis don't always have blood in their poo.

What symptoms have you seen in your chicks? How old are the chickens? Classic symptoms of coccidiosis are standing hunched or puffed up, runny poops with mucus or sometimes blood, lethargic or sleepy, weakness, and not eating. It affects young chickens usually under 10 weeks unless an old chicken has problems with immunity.
What is your location in the world? If there is any doubt about coccidiosis, get amprollium or Corid to treat in the water. Other drugs used are sulfa antibiotics and toltrazuril.

What symptoms have you seen in your chicks? How old are the chickens? Classic symptoms of coccidiosis are standing hunched or puffed up, runny poops with mucus or sometimes blood, lethargic or sleepy, weakness, and not eating. It affects young chickens usually under 10 weeks unless an old chicken has problems with immunity.
What is your location in the world? If there is any doubt about coccidiosis, get amprollium or Corid to treat in the water. Other drugs used are sulfa antibiotics and toltrazuril.
The others have no symptoms besides also seeming a bit skinny.. I just noticed after this one that died started to decline but this all happened last night with no warning. They are just 6 weeks I am going to treat the others ASAP with corid..

Back
Top Bottom