Marek's??

StarScreamers

Chirping
Jan 2, 2020

Hi all,

Okay. So ive been looking through the threads, youtube and web about Marek's Disease.

I have this young bird, he is about 3.5-4 month old. He was with his brothers and sister total of 9. He is the only one doing this. Started doing it this morning. Yesterday when they were roaming i noticed him walking funny. The way he steps. Is this Marek's Disease? I was only pushing him to show the symptoms. He was falling over and the others were stepping all over him.

I put this young one down after puttijng much thoughts. From past experience, my flock been under attack by this illness. I've had a few birds grown up 6-8 months, healthy eating and drinking. Then they fall ill with similar symptom like this young guy. All eventually put down. Not all at the same time but weeks or months apart.

I think it is Marek's Disease, can anybody confirm? Ive seen videos with weaken legs from Marek's but not the way mine is showing.

Thank you.

No one but a lab can confirm Marek's. They need to do a necropsy on the dead bird. Then you will know for sure if you have Marek's in your flock.

The symptoms are suggestive of Marek's, but also could be from a neuro toxin such as petroleum distillates such as paint thinner, hydraulic fluid, insecticides. Also coccidiosis can cause similar symptoms and dehydration can cause weakness and balance issues.

Years ago, I had a log splitter sitting in the area where my chickens roamed. I was seeing one chicken after another come down with balance issues and lameness. When a four-week old chick literally collapsed at my feet, I knew something had to be poisoning my chickens. It took me three days going over and over the ground looking for the poison. And there it was, bigger than life - the log splitter leaking hydraulic fluid onto the soil where my chickens scratched up gravel and swallowed it for grit.

I suggest you send the body to a lab for a necropsy, or plan on doing so with the next sick chicken you put down. Meanwhile, search your yard for possible toxins that could be poisoning your chickens. Is someone cleaning pain brushes and tossing the thinner on the ground? Spray for ants? Leaking mowers or old vehicles? A backyard mechanic cleaning engine parts and tossing the dirty solvent? Cement mixing and cleanup water tossed where the chickens roam? Radiator flushed onto the ground?

I considered that. But where can you send the corpse of the chicken? What kind of lab will i be looking up for that? And how mucb does it cost? Much appreciated.

Tell me your location and maybe I can find the contact information for you. Some US states will do agricultural necropsies for free or very little. Others charge as much as $100 or more. It depends on where you live. You would need to call them and find out the cost.

Think I found a place. Not sure how the situation is with the corona virus and all. But the next bird that get sick, I will invest into getting it done. Finally finding out what it is.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom