Eggsandbeyond

Songster
Apr 13, 2023
Has anyone dealt with mareks and can give me some insight on the beginning stages?

I have 2 amerecaunas from the same place a friend got them from a hatchery. They're about 4 months old now have been in my flock since 6 weeks. No new additions no change since getting them.

2 days ago one was limping, I assumed maybe they just injured their leg and kept an eye on them. Now the other is acting "wobbly" losing balance, one wing is a bit droopy and their legs seem a bit stiff and will occasionally fall over if tries to move too fast.

The first one that showed symptoms who is now not walking on that leg at all will get around and can move that bad leg when trying to limp around. But, it does seem to be getting a bit worse. The leg almost looks.out of place to the side like dislocated or something. When examining I do not see any injuries or feel anything. When I did touch it he squawks at me and can move the leg to get free. But I do not know if this is the very beginning stages of mareks. They've been with everyone I just today quarantined when I saw the second one standing and limping oddly. Not sure if it matters but some are vaccinated in my flock some are not.
I am adding rooster booster and brewers yeast to their food and probitocs and electrolytes to their water. They're in a large dog crate in my rabbits run now. Is this the first stages of mareks? How quickly can it progress and can I expect to lose most of my flock?
I love my birds dearly and am very cautious but this year I've had such an issue with respitory and cocci issues. I am losing sleep over worrying sbout.mareks now.
I have a video of them walking if I can post videos ill.try to

Not sure if it matters but they are vaccinated and standoffish don't care to mingle with the rest of the flock so I am hoping and praying it's a vitamin deficnicy I am dealing with

Not sure if it matters but they are vaccinated and standoffish don't care to mingle with the rest of the flock so I am hoping and praying it's a vitamin deficnicy I am dealing with
I watch everyone eat I like to hangout with my flock as much as possible and it's a time to bond with them so I do see them eating but maybe not as much as the "alpha" hens

Hey @Eggsandbeyond I just found this thread, I'm sorry there are no responses here, I know we've been chatting on your other thread, but I don't think we discussed that "fist signs".

I have the "classical" Mareks in my flock, some died within 24 hours of symptoms and some lasted a few weeks (when I first didn't know what it was I assumed vitamin deficiency and tried treating them, now when I see they've hit a certain point, I cull). The first indication has been a slight wobbliness. Kinda like they are a touch tipsy, if they stop quickly or try to turn quickly they seem just a tad off balance and may try to catch themselves with a wing. They can be like that for a day or a few days then decline. Each bird has declined a little differently, but when they seem to be suffering, or can't get easily to food and water, that's when we cull now. I know we probably should cull sooner because they are shedding the virus, but it's such a hard decision to make I tend to delay the decision.

Hey @Eggsandbeyond I just found this thread, I'm sorry there are no responses here, I know we've been chatting on your other thread, but I don't think we discussed that "fist signs".

I have the "classical" Mareks in my flock, some died within 24 hours of symptoms and some lasted a few weeks (when I first didn't know what it was I assumed vitamin deficiency and tried treating them, now when I see they've hit a certain point, I cull). The first indication has been a slight wobbliness. Kinda like they are a touch tipsy, if they stop quickly or try to turn quickly they seem just a tad off balance and may try to catch themselves with a wing. They can be like that for a day or a few days then decline. Each bird has declined a little differently, but when they seem to be suffering, or can't get easily to food and water, that's when we cull now. I know we probably should cull sooner because they are shedding the virus, but it's such a hard decision to make I tend to delay the decision.
As of right now it's just these 2, they were from the same place. Same breed. I got a test kit to see if it is mareks. But I am pretty certain that it is. I've been such a mess for 2 weeks now going back and forth on this. They are my pets and I love them all dearly. I hate to see them like this. One day they'll seem to improve and the next decline again. They eat and drink and try to get around, but one leg is paralyzed and toes curled. It is the same leg on both birds. When the test comes back and it is positive I need to make the decision but I have no idea where to even begin. I obviously don't want them to suffer and I can't afford a vet to put them down. But idk if I have it in me to cull them. Especially once it does start showing in the rest of my flock if it hits my "special" birds. How many do you have? Typically, how fast do others start to show symptoms? It's been about 2 weeks now they've been isolated, but the first one to show symptoms started with a limp and was with everyone for a few days while limping before I isolated because I assumed it was just a minor injury. So if that's what it is I can assume its already throughout my entire flock. Some are vaccinated some are not.

As of right now it's just these 2, they were from the same place. Same breed. I got a test kit to see if it is mareks. But I am pretty certain that it is. I've been such a mess for 2 weeks now going back and forth on this. They are my pets and I love them all dearly. I hate to see them like this. One day they'll seem to improve and the next decline again. They eat and drink and try to get around, but one leg is paralyzed and toes curled. It is the same leg on both birds. When the test comes back and it is positive I need to make the decision but I have no idea where to even begin. I obviously don't want them to suffer and I can't afford a vet to put them down. But idk if I have it in me to cull them. Especially once it does start showing in the rest of my flock if it hits my "special" birds. How many do you have? Typically, how fast do others start to show symptoms? It's been about 2 weeks now they've been isolated, but the first one to show symptoms started with a limp and was with everyone for a few days while limping before I isolated because I assumed it was just a minor injury. So if that's what it is I can assume its already throughout my entire flock. Some are vaccinated some are not.
I'm a mess so I can't fully remember what I've already said. So if I repeated myself I apologize. This is very difficult to have to go through I am sorry you've had to live with this too in your flock.

Just noticed bloody droppings. Is this their body shutting down or a secondary infection of coccidiosis? Or maybe this is a severe case of coccidiosis? I have never heard of it causing these symptoms. (Leg paralysis)

Just noticed bloody droppings. Is this their body shutting down or a secondary infection of coccidiosis? Or maybe this is a severe case of coccidiosis? I have never heard of it causing these symptoms. (Leg paralysis)

Attachments

• 20240610_181906.jpg
    20240610_181906.jpg
    662.2 KB · Views: 5
I've been putting vitamin b2 capsules in an egg every day causing that bright yellow. But the blood just happened today.

Quite likely it is Coccidiosis, get some corid into them, I'd do a drench (double check the dosage please...) 1cc straight into their beak, then dose the water as instructed on the bottle.

Secondary infections are very common with Mareks as it taxes their immune system.

Back
Top Bottom