Mare's Illegal Cute-ness (Call Duck) Chat Thread!!

I've never done drake flocks before,, and with their extra bits,, I'm a bit more hesitant to just throw males together than I would be with roosters
Absolutely! I have had to separate some of the boys from time to time and they just do their ducky stuff...swim, eat, sleep. Some pace the fence line because they see their girlfriends. They are just fine in a boy group. In fact I have 2 little duos that do everything thing together. I have seen them mate a female here or there but they are more concerned with where their best friend is at than chasing ladies. It's adorable!

If it comes down to it, do you think the boys would be okay in an all call drake flock, if they've hatched and been raised together?
When I got my 4 boys together, they walked around proud and acted like they were the Mafia!!! You never saw one without the others and it was cute to see them parading around like partners in crime. I am sure they will be fine I would think. Mine were raised together also before I got them and 3 months old.

We do. I also use them for baking or crack them over my dogs food in the morning. They love them. I have sold some hatching eggs here locally too.
I would love to try to hatch some out this summer. My luck though I would hatch out all boys. I am going to see if my Buddy that I got my others from ever gets any females in. I wish Metzer could sell them sexed. I don't know why they don't unless they are too small and fragile.

I would love to try to hatch some out this summer. My luck though I would hatch out all boys. I am going to see if my Buddy that I got my others from ever gets any females in. I wish Metzer could sell them sexed. I don't know why they don't unless they are too small and fragile.
My Black Bibbed one did manage to have a Son by my one Mallard. She hatched out a Black Bibbed duckling that was a male and my Call Duck was the only Black Bibbed Male in my pen. So if you have any smaller ducks where there is a will there is a way. I rehomed both of them because I did not need that many males.

They are too small and fragile. The only way to sex them before about 5 weeks would be dna.

I have a soft spot for the boys, ducks and roosters, because they are always the ones no one wants. They are so beautiful and quiet (well maybe not the Roo's). I would think more people keeping ducks for fun would prefer them in a little bachelor flock. I definitely have too many boys in the ratio, but have other pen options when the need arises. A gal I know is going to take about 6 of them for a handsome little bachelor flock here soon so glad that is working out for me, her and the boys!

I have a soft spot for the boys, ducks and roosters, because they are always the ones no one wants. They are so beautiful and quiet (well maybe not the Roo's). I would think more people keeping ducks for fun would prefer them in a little bachelor flock. I definitely have too many boys in the ratio, but have other pen options when the need arises. A gal I know is going to take about 6 of them for a handsome little bachelor flock here soon so glad that is working out for me, her and the boys!
That's my thought too. Of course, I'd love to end up with 2 boys and 5 girls in my batch (that way I can get a trio and sell off a pair), but on the off chance I get 6:1, I'd probably end up having a smaller pen for the female and just keep the 6 boys seperated into a male flock.

29-31 1 female magpie, 1 female fawn and white runner, 2 assorted different color (minimum of two diff colors) unsexed. From metzers
Great, so you should have your babies here soon! Can't wait to see what they send you. By the way, if you are new to ducks, my favorite way of brooding ducks is in the bathtub (if you have a spare or don't mind giving yours up for a few weeks). Ducks are MESSY! I put a towel down for traction and then once a day after they are a few days old, remove the towel fill the bathtub with a little warm water to let them swim and "clean" the tub at the same time. I only let them swim for a few minutes and always under supervision. Drain the tub, new towel and babies get to warm up and preen their feathers before starting the mess all over again!

Great, so you should have your babies here soon! Can't wait to see what they send you. By the way, if you are new to ducks, my favorite way of brooding ducks is in the bathtub (if you have a spare or don't mind giving yours up for a few weeks). Ducks are MESSY! I put a towel down for traction and then once a day after they are a few days old, remove the towel fill the bathtub with a little warm water to let them swim and "clean" the tub at the same time. I only let them swim for a few minutes and always under supervision. Drain the tub, new towel and babies get to warm up and preen their feathers before starting the mess all over again!
I have 1 WH right now, but I used to have three until a few weeks ago. They got sick and didn’t make it, so now we’re raising more ducklings so she isn’t alone

Back
Top Bottom