Mare's Illegal Cute-ness (Call Duck) Chat Thread!!

Pics
Awkward like this?
20220606_173001.jpg

Or this?
20211109_115822.jpg

Or perhaps like this?
20220415_173108.jpg
Great pictures!

I have heard of so many people not being fans of white Calls. Personally, they're my favorites, but I always wonder what it is about them that people don't like. I don't know what it is that I absolutely adore about them so asking someone the opposite is probably very similar. Maybe it's because they're like miniature versions of Pekins and I LOVE Pekins but won't have anymore due to feet and leg issues with them.
I think it's just that they're solid white birds. I can count on 2 hands how many white birds I've kept. The white fits the calls though

I love Buffs! I have one hen and she is such a character! Her personality is so amazing. Are yours like that?
Yes..my main breeding pair is very accepting ..she will raise or hatch anything..the male must be separated..but only for 8 weeks as they are full grown at that point...they all converse and esp. if I'm late with evening feed!

I have heard of so many people not being fans of white Calls. Personally, they're my favorites, but I always wonder what it is about them that people don't like. I don't know what it is that I absolutely adore about them so asking someone the opposite is probably very similar. Maybe it's because they're like miniature versions of Pekins and I LOVE Pekins but won't have anymore due to feet and leg issues with them.

Honestly, I just don't like the look of solid white plumage, regardless of breed or species. I like a bit more color, contrast, or patterning, I guess. I don't mind them when they have dark-colored bills, like is usually the case with Silver (err, the duck equivalent of Splash, not sure if I'm remembering the name correctly) but white with the orange legs and bill just doesn't do it for me. Just my personal preference. 🙂

Oh my gosh they're adorable 🥰
Thank you!! Our first set we bought I had white, silver, snowy, blue fawn, and butterscotch. They all were killed. So we went back to the lady, after about 3 months, and all she had was white left. But I was just happy she had them. I put in a request for other colors for this spring! I’m so excited for them!

Last edited:
I’m not a huge fan of white chickens or ducks either. It seems like white Calls are easier to find and decent show quality ones are fairly abundant. I’ve only had 5 white calls over the years. Zero now.

I hatched 2 seramas that stayed solid white, still have one of them. She’s old!! But never hatched another, and have every color under the sun, so I appreciate having her in there, she stands out.

I also had a flock of bantam white Phoenix chickens. They were pretty, with their long tails. I eventually decided to get out of the breed and sold them all.

I’m not a huge fan of white chickens or ducks either. It seems like white Calls are easier to find and decent show quality ones are fairly abundant. I’ve only had 5 white calls over the years. Zero now.

I hatched 2 seramas that stayed solid white, still have one of them. She’s old!! But never hatched another, and have every color under the sun, so I appreciate having her in there, she stands out.

I also had a flock of bantam white Phoenix chickens. They were pretty, with their long tails. I eventually decided to get out of the breed and sold them all.
My white pheonixes are nice, but they're not solid white either. They all have some small amount of black or 'brown' on them. My male looks like his wings got shat on

Thank you!! Our first set we bought I had white, silver, snowy, blue fawn, and butterscotch. They all were killed. So we went back to the lady, after about 3 months, and all she had was white left. But I was just happy she had them. I put in a request for other colors for this spring! I’m so excited for them!
That's so sad what killed them?

Back
Top Bottom