Mare's Illegal Cute-ness (Call Duck) Chat Thread!!

Pics
I never had an issue with my past muscovies flying 🤔 Interesting! Maybe I can use that as an excuse to be allowed Calls...
Did you have any females? :lau
It's hard for me to imagine not having issues with them flying. I've legit been hit in the head by flying muscovies at least 3 times this last year.

Did you have any females? :lau
It's hard for me to imagine not having issues with them flying. I've legit been hit in the head by flying muscovies at least 3 times this last year.
I did have females, I will admit I never owned many. One of my girls was disabled and could barely walk let alone fly.

We got two, pretty sure we have a nest on the back shelf but left it since it could just as easily be a porcupine nest and we don't want to hurt those
When we bought our house last year one made itself home in the fall. We tried trapping it, had my brother come out with his .22 (I haven’t gotten one yet, but filed for a void card) and sat around all night waiting for it to show up and he never did. One day I was out by the coop and I don’t know why but I looked up and there was one setting in the branch of the tree. We shot it out of there and I knew it was too small to be the one we had been dealing with. The next day same thing and again too small to be dealing with. Our best guess was that she had twins and must have been hit on the road. There was another that was messing around the coop that wasn’t going to be doing that again. I would leave them alone but once around the coop, it would only be a matter of time before they figured out what was in there. Maybe since you got 2, the rest will move on to another place. 🤷‍♀️

A question. How much do call ducks fly?
They can fly pretty good. I have a net over my Calls run so I don’t have to clip them but they also can’t fly. Also the net protects them from other flying birds. I can’t let them free range where I am yet. It is just WAY to open. Hoping one day though. The lady I bought mine from, had the ones she was selling in a pen with 8’ fencing and one had flown out while we were talking. My husband was able to catch it in mid flight but if he hadn’t it would have been a mess trying to catch him.

Luckily though mine only fly from their duck house right into their “pond”. Not that they will get far anywhere else but they don’t fly onto the roof of the coop (which they very easily could) or anything crazy. I’m sure if they were free range and I didn’t clip them…they would be gone and not return.

Last edited:
I'm the oddball, I guess. I love pure white birds. They look classy. However, there's nothing uglier than a white hatchery bird in poor feathering. For better or for worse, I think their type and balance is more apparent. That said, crele and spangled are two of my other favorite patterns...

They look classy... until the aforementioned cleanliness issues occur. 🤭

I love Crele as well. I'd hoped to work on making nice Silver Creles with my OEGBs at one point, but I unfortunately never got started due to the local hawks discovering how easy it is to snatch those teeny-tiny chickens. :hmm

A question. How much do call ducks fly?

Mine were all very much capable of flight, but rarely if ever actually flew. Crash only leaves the ground if she's particularly excited to get to her pool first thing in the morning, and she only flies a few yards from the coop door toward her pool when she does.

Back
Top Bottom