Mark on bill

nennings

Chirping
Apr 2, 2020
Our ducklings are 7 days old. From the very first day we had them, one had a mark on its bill. It was definitely noticeable but kind of hard to get a good look at. Now that they are bigger and I can see it, it looks like a gouge? Her bill isn't as big as the others either now that they are growing. It also appears the bottom is growing faster than the top as it sticks out a bit. She eats and drinks ok...not able to pick up 'treats' as well though. And not a big fan of her head under water like the other two. She also makes a chatter kid of noise...like she is mouth breathing. Its not labored but her mouth is open alot of the time. This pic is hard to see... the spot is still there but almost looks like a scab type thing is lifting up and will fall off leaving and indent in her bill underneath. Any thoughts?
IMG_20200406_195003.jpg

:welcome

If she is eating/drinking well I wouldn't be to concerned, bill injuries usually heal overtime. Whats the temp in your brooder?

I put a blob of salve on it last night and the scab fell off but her clicking is still there. She is otherwise acting just fine 🤔 the temp is 80.

I don't feel anything and i looked inside...nothing that i see is wedged or stuck. It has been like this since the day we got her...its just changed how it sounds. They other two 'peeped' and this one made these weird sounds. She eats drinks and runs around like the rest..just this is different. I see no indication of distress or pain but of course I am worried that she is somehow suffering without my knowledge.

Back
Top Bottom