Marked eggs

Airplaneguy57

Songster
9 Years
Feb 23, 2010
Rio Medina Texas
What is the safest pen or pencil to mark eggs. My hens want to jump In the box to put a few extra eggs for the broody hens. I don't want a staggered hatch to go on all summer.

I just use an ordinary pencil. The lead remains on the outside of the shell and hasn't ever caused me any problems.
smile.png

I use a pencil or a sharpie marker...usually the sharpie cause it's most times right there. I especially use a sharpie if I'm setting the eggs under a hen, pencil rubs off too easily.

I've used both. If I write something on there, definitely the Sharpie. It is so much easier to see. If you use a pencil, use a soft-leaded pencil and rub it on from the side it of the lead to make a wide band. To know which belong there, all you need is a band around the egg.

dates they are laid. breed. day of week. i hand turn x and o. i make note on egg if i found cold. if i find inferile egg half way. i mark then candle a few days later to make sure then pull if not developing.

i do staggered hatches. i have 3 sets of call eggs in one bator. i color code each set. they are all a week apart. when i color code sometime i just do little stars of each color.

Last edited:
Too high-tech for me. I write BCM, BSL, Silkie, OE Sp or Bl (splash or blue), Jap, and Duc (d'uccles) on my eggs...that's all I've got to separate right now. I also right the date laid on the side of the egg then the date set on the top of the 'big' end. If they look bad when I candle them I usually just pull 'em. Otherwise I put a ? on it right next to the set date
smile.png

also doing some hatches of BCM with 16 plus day old eggs and fresh 7 days old or less .

usually i make the x and o diffenent colors on different age of eggs. all set together to see if they hatch and how they develop.

Back
Top Bottom