Market for Duck Eggs?

chickenphile

Songster
11 Years
Jun 8, 2008
Feura Bush, NY
Do you eat or sell your duck eggs? Is there a breed of duck eggs that is better than the rest for eating? I have tried some before and they were strong tasting. I have heard they are great for baking but is there a big market for them. I have no problem selling or giving away my chicken eggs but don't want to be stuck with a lot of duck eggs.
thanks
Chris

If you live where there are a lot of oriental families yes. My dad works with people who grew up in Thailand and Korea so we don't have a problem. You can also sell to people who do that art thing (wish i could be more specific) and they can use them. We eat what few eggs we get and sell the extra. If you don't want lots of eggs just don't buy Kahki Campbells.

We don't sell our eggs, but give them to coworkers and neighbors. We always ask if they mind mixing in duck eggs...most let us- and many say they like them.

One "customer" is from India....they ask for duck eggs.

I've also seen ads on Craigslist selling duck eggs for eating...for more $ than chicken eggs!

I think there can be a market...

Sandra

I only have one laying duck right now, but I actually have a little waiting list for dozens of her eggs. Mostly my own family eats a lot of them (my DBF's family is Chinese so they all love them) but we have Philippino families, other Asian families, and a few Mexican families that all ask for the eggs so I have them all on a rotating schedule of who I'll sell a dozen to. Like BantyHunter stated, the more Asian families you lie around the better market you will have, but I am working on converting a lot of whites to ducks eggs in my area.

The duck eggs my Khaki lays taste a lot like my chicken eggs, but I'm sure that is it because I keep her in a very clean pen, give her plenty of fresh, clean water, and feed her the same food that I do to the chickens with only a few minor differences.

I have Welsh Harlequins and their eggs are a bit larger and a bit richer tasting than chicken eggs.
We bake with them and give them to the 90 yr man across the street.
My wife sells them to a co-worker that likes to bake.
We use them for trade a the local Asian grocery.
We trade for Thai meals at the local Thai restaurant.
I trade them for fancy beer at the convenience store that is own by an Indian family.
I have a Vietnamese friend that owns a sushi restaurant and we trade with him/his family.

They used to pile up, but then we hustled up trades/clients and now we have to hatch more.
You can find ways to use them.

We don't sell many, but trade alot. Research your local market if you want to expand an egg business, but if you want ducks the eggs are a definate bonus.

Wow,,, you all have just convinced me to get some ducks! I was hesitating because I wasn't sure I could put the eggs to better use than scrambling up for re-feeding, (which isn't a bad use, just not the best IMO)... I don't bake much, I just wanted ducks! I'll bet I can work out some trades at an asian grocery store though!!!

...now I'm going downstairs to get out building materials and tools.. *sigh*

Last edited:
From BYC members, I've heard Duck Eggs are great for baking and alot of chefs prefer them to chicken eggs. Since I love to bake I've got 3 Khaki Campbells coming.

Back
Top Bottom