Marking Chickens question

ChickenDude12345

Songster
Jun 16, 2021
Northern NH
I am thinking about using zip ties to mark my chickens. Just one question - when I put the zip tie on should I put it on snug or put it on loose and let it drop down to their feet? Any help is appreciated!

You need it tight enough so it won't fall off their feet, but loose enough so it doesn't cut off their circulation. I usually put them inbetween the spur area and the foot. Make sure it is able to move on the leg, but won't slide off the foot

You need it tight enough so it won't fall off their feet, but loose enough so it doesn't cut off their circulation. I usually put them inbetween the spur area and the foot. Make sure it is able to move on the leg, but won't slide off the foot
I will put it so it has a couple mm of space between the leg and the zip tie. Their foot is too big for it to slip off even if I gave it a lot of space. Should it stay up on their leg or be down on their foot but not fall off?

It is fine sitting on their foot, but I personally wouldn't put it lower that what this one is

Attachments

• IMG_20210730_152709.jpg
    IMG_20210730_152709.jpg
    410.4 KB · Views: 5
Exactly!

Takes some practice/experience.
Gotta keep an eye on them.
Might be good to change all out once a year, they can break and fall off.

Here's how I do it:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/leg-banding-with-zipties.68075/

Back
Top Bottom