Marking Chicks for Identification

MelissaR

Chirping
11 Years
Jun 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
Does anyone have a good suggestion for how to mark a chick for identification? I don't have a toe punch. Would using a Sharpie marker on a toe hurt the chick? I thought of painting a toenail but I'm not sure I can keep them still long enough for it to dry.

I'm asking because I have 12 speckled sussex chicks that look a lot alike. I want to keep track of the progress of the one that hatched first and one I had to help.

Thanks in advance!

I just saw in another thread, someone who uses zip ties. They come in so many colors that seems like it would be an inexpensive method. I'd just avoid putting them on too tight to give them room to grow.

I just ran into this same problem today. I went to the store in search of a marking system, but just encountered problems. I would have to buy 50 minimum leg bands, I only need 5. I thought of using a animal marker(like for sheep), but the chicks molt fast at times.
So I used zip-ties(i think that is what they are called) they work perfect, and are quite light so the chick doesn't even notice them. just be sure to cut off the extra so that it doesn't get pulled tighter.

Thank you!!

I forgot about zip ties. Off to Menards I go...

randomchick - I had the same issue with legbands. It's not like you can use the extra 40 for something else....

I use leg bands on ours but I forgot I was out on one hatch so...I used a washable marker on their tummy-lighter fluff and not where the others can pick at it as much...worked great until the leg bands got back here.
Now for those of us that are cheap Goodies hair bands come in a real small size won't fit a newbie but have worked great on my chicks by the time they are about 2 weeks old..they are just the plain elastic bands in colors...and if you have kids they can find many uses for the extras!

Back
Top Bottom