Marking chicks - need ideas please

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by klf73, Jun 28, 2008.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I have over 3 dozen eggs in the bator, from 3 different breeders, all same breed. I need to keep track of the chicks until they are big enough to band. Someone suggested marker, if I use marker, what kind? Is a sharpie too harsh, I have lots of colors in that. Do I need non washable crayolas? I thought about nail polish but don't want them pecking each other. Suggestions? Any thing else I could do?
    Thanks
    Krista

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  2. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    I don't know, because I've never done it. I saw that someone once used dry erase colored markers on his chicks. I don't know how that worked out. Just don't use reds or pinks, or anything that could look like blood, or they'll get pecked for sure.

Good luck!

3. perfectly_polish

perfectly_polish Overrun With Chickens

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    You could use different colored zip ties and put it on their legs. Once they get too small snip it off and put on another one. Or they sell different sized leg bands at the feed store.

4. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    I use colored pipe cleaners now called "craft sticks" or something like that in the craft section of Walmart. You can cut them to what length you need, come in many colors and you can enlarge them easily. I just wrapped them around the leg twice, not tight though, and did NOT twistie them like bread ties as I want them to come off easily IF I missed one and it the chick outgrew it. Mine lasted on there for several weeks and I only had a few fall off at that point.

5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Other people on the boards have used permanent markers on the top of their heads or backs. If you do black or brown, chicks might not peck - natural chick colors?

6. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

I use crayola washable markers on the top of their head and down the middle of their backs. I will tell you to get neon or pastel colors because even green and red is hard to see on some. I have never had an issue with pecking using this method.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by