Marking Eggs???

E-Chick

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 27, 2009
Ramona
I have found that a lot of people use pencils, grease pencils, or sharpies to mark eggs for hatching.

But...

Do any of you have a date marking system for eggs that are for consumption?

I am getting a heck of a lot more eggs than my hubby and I could ever eat before they get old...assuming 30 days??? I'd like to mark them, so that I can give some away KNOWING that they are still fresh!

I'm leaning toward the sharpie since it dries quickly and *shouldn't* leave any off taste.

What say you?

I keep a pencil in the basket I use every time I go out to gather eggs and write the date on each egg every day. I also mark the egg under the date as to which coop it came out of or what breed it is. I have 2 coops, 2 pens and 3 hutches.

When I set eggs under a broody hen I draw a line all the way around the middle of the egg with a blue sharpie so if I find any other eggs under her when checking eggs each day I know to pull those eggs out.

Jayare

I store them in cartons, and date them +30 days from the date of lay. I use a sticker on the end of the carton with "best by" that date. LOL...I actually have preprinted "best by" stickers and just write in the dates. But we sell eggs and gather A LOT each day - writing on them individually isn't feasible for time or sales.

If refrigerated eggs are good for months past 30 days. A recent Mother Earth News article quotes up to 6 months - although they will lose quality.

For hatching eggs, I use a sharpie - no refigeration of course.

I use a plain old pencil and mark them like this

5/12

before putting them in the carton in the fridge. When I am making deviled or hard boiled eggs, I use the oldest first. I think the oldest ones I have had were a month old.

So....I've been using the Ultra Fine Sharpie marker to date each egg as I gather them.

Love it! Works wonders!

tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom