Marking quail eggs for incubator.

quails-101

Chirping
Apr 16, 2016
I am putting quail eggs in the incubator and I was wondering what is the best way to mark them. Also my quails were laying 8 - 10 eggs a day and all the sudden slowed down to 4 a day I am feeding them egg layer crumbles for chickens and mixing it with granit and calcium chunks.

Thanks for the information.

Ok, first things first, do you have an auto turner, if so, no need to mark the eggs, just put the "little" end down, the rounded end up, second the slowdown on the egg laying is due to a food change. That's normal. I recommend no layer at all. Hear me out. I feed all my quail starter mixed with wild game growth and plummage, the reason is you get about 38% protein this way. It's the absolute highest protein gain you can get for quail without doing your own "scratch" type feed. I get 18-24 eggs a day with this feed. It has always been my go to feed for,quail as it was taught to me by my uncle who has a huge farm in Texas with over 20,000 quail and all kinds of other birds. Try this feed combo, wait a week and see if there is a big influx in eggs. The first time you do it it is expensive buying both bags. It costs 19.95 for the plummage and growth and 14.95 for NON MEDICATED starter. Then I just buy a bag a week, and alternate the two so I always have the feed. I have a lot,of,birds however so I need a lot of feed. I see here not to many have the quantities I have so you might not need a bag a week. It all depends on how much your quail consume. Pm me if you have any further questions. Hope,I helped

Sorry. Got off topic if you don't have an auto turner, put an X on one side of the eggs towards the rounded end, then every day 3 times a day rotate the eggs, turn the egg until the X is facing down. Easy to do if,you turn it towards you, some people put an X on one side and an o on the other at 180 degrees. It all depends on how accurate you are turning. If you want best success, I would do X then turn towards your body in the bator until the X ismdown

Thanks, yea that helped a lot. I have 25 quail so thats not a lot I have had up to 60 but that was the limit. But thanks for the advice. And whats a p.m. sorry I'm new to this site. And yes I do have an atomatic egg turner I was marking them for witch breed they are I just put C for coturnix ,T for tuxedo ,E,W for english white and P for pharaoh I just did it with pencil

Last edited:
You can also use a sharpie. It does not effect the egg in anyway. I hope I answered all your questions, a pm is a private message. Simply click my name then click send private message.

Oh ok thanks, I wondered about sharpie on eggs but I didn't know if it would go through the pours.

X2 on the sharpie & feed. I make my marks small as possible so the ink doesn't permeate the pores but I really don't know if that is a valid concern or not.
Usually when my egg production lowers unexpectedly it's because the quail flushed during the night and banged their heads on the roof of the cage. When it doesn't cripple them it at least wacks them out for a week or so.

Back
Top Bottom