Marks on eggs... What does it mean?

Jun 15, 2021
For about the last month, my Australorp has been laying eggs with strange marks on them. Does anyone know what this means, what might be the cause and if it's an indication of something dangerous for my girl?

I attached a picture. The marks always look generally like this, but the size and location vary. Some eggs have only a very small "smudge," while this one has it all the way around. Her vent looks just fine, although about a year ago (she had been laying for only a few months), she suffered a severe prolapsed vent and we had to nurse her back to health. She recovered completely and as I said, it's been about a year since the incident.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Attachments

• 20221110_164036.jpg
    20221110_164036.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 17
For about the last month, my Australorp has been laying eggs with strange marks on them. Does anyone know what this means, what might be the cause and if it's an indication of something dangerous for my girl?

I attached a picture. The marks always look generally like this, but the size and location vary. Some eggs have only a very small "smudge," while this one has it all the way around. Her vent looks just fine, although about a year ago (she had been laying for only a few months), she suffered a severe prolapsed vent and we had to nurse her back to health. She recovered completely and as I said, it's been about a year since the incident.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Are those calcium deposits ? I can’t tell.
If you search for “egg problems “ you will find a thread that may help you.
Shabby

How do the shells feel when you break them to eat?
Are they hard all over or are those marked spots thinner?
Can you see those marks on the inside of the shell?
In general, the eggshell feels strong and healthy. But where the marks are, it's rough, pocked and seems thinner.
When opened, I can more easily see light through the marked areas. When I peeled the skin away, I could feel the different, thinner, pocked sort of texture.

Should I supplement with calcium? If so, how do I get her to eat it? I've set out oistershells before, but they never eat them. I have them on Beaver brand layer feed, sold and reccommended by my local feed store. They really care about providing the best products and advice to their clientelle, so I trust their reccommendations.

In general, the eggshell feels strong and healthy. But where the marks are, it's rough, pocked and seems thinner.
When opened, I can more easily see light through the marked areas. When I peeled the skin away, I could feel the different, thinner, pocked sort of texture.

Should I supplement with calcium? If so, how do I get her to eat it? I've set out oistershells before, but they never eat them. I have them on Beaver brand layer feed, sold and reccommended by my local feed store. They really care about providing the best products and advice to their clientelle, so I trust their reccommendations.
Good descriptions!

I don't think this is a calcium/diet deficiency,
especially if it's just one bird that has an issue,
but rather a shell gland glitch.
The prior prolapse might slant towards her having anatomical anomalies.
It may always be there, or get worse, or get better.
Only time will tell.....just keep an eye on her.

How old is this bird, in months?
Do you live in the northern hemisphere and might she be going into a molt?
You can get some weird eggs around molting time.

Nothing you can do about it. I too think it is just a glitch. I would not worry about it. A lot of egg laying is not diet, but rather genetic. While the diet has some influence, I do not believe it is what some people make out.

I have found that glitches tend to clear up on their own, whether you do anything or not. I don't think this is bothering her as much as it is bothering you. Rest assured, if she is laying regularly, active and eating, she is really just fine.

Mrs K

How do the shells feel when you break them to eat?
Are they hard all over or are those marked spots thinner?
Can you see those marks on the inside of the eggshell?
A big THANKS!!! to all who replied! Thanks for the reassurance! We only have 6 hens, so they are as much our treasured pets as they are layers. This one is particularly affectionate since having spent a week indoors with us when she had the prolapse. Lol, they started out as my daughter's... but now, I never realized how much I could love and enjoy chickens!

Back
Top Bottom