Marsbar hens

I have some at home I can get photos of you for later today.

That is incorrect. Males should be barred if you do the cross in a manner that allows you to produce Olive-egger Sex-links, which is the entire point. Males are barred. Hens are Black with varying amounts of copper in the hackles. Most of mine have light feathering on the shanks and outer toes which is typical if using Black Copper Marans that follow the French versus the UK Standard. Crest size varies. Some have decent little poofs up top, and some don't.

This also shouldn't hold true. The females should only lay a green egg. Mine vary from a deep green to a pale green. Some have speckles.
Male offspring would only be Barred if you cross a solid rooster to a Barred hen.

Hi all, I’m crossing my Cream Legbar rooster to my Copper Black Marans hens.
Does anyone have photos of what the offspring will look like doing the cross this way?
Females and males if poss. I know the chicks won’t be sexlinked.

No photos, but I predict:
chicks & adults with white barring on black
Some leakage of gold or red or brown shades
If the Marans hen has feathers on her feet, the chicks might have them too.

As you say, with the rooster being the Legbar, the chicks will not be sexlinked. So they will all have barring. (The reverse cross is much more comon, because sexlinks are convenient, but that's not what you are doing here.)

I’ve read the female offspring have a 50:50 chance of laying Olive or brown.
If the Cream Legbar parent (father) is pure for the blue egg gene, the daughters should ALL lay olive eggs. But if you breed the crosses to a brown egg layer, the next generation will have a 50:50 chance of laying Olive or brown.

My offspring look black with some white bits on chests? Some have crests, some don’t, some have feathered legs and some don’t. Some have a bit of copper here and there and some don’t!! None look barred though.
Oh for goodness sake!!!
I e got completely mixed up!!!!

the bird in photo is not a Marsbar but an olive egger backcross.

I actually forgot what I was asking about in the first place 😂😂😂😂

so, right now I don’t have photos of Marsbar chicks as they haven’t hatched yet 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

I guess that explains the puzzling traits of those chicks :lau

That is incorrect. Males should be barred if you do the cross in a manner that allows you to produce Olive-egger Sex-links, which is the entire point. Males are barred. Hens are Black with varying amounts of copper in the hackles. Most of mine have light feathering on the shanks and outer toes which is typical if using Black Copper Marans that follow the French versus the UK Standard. Crest size varies. Some have decent little poofs up top, and some don't.

This also shouldn't hold true. The females should only lay a green egg. Mine vary from a deep green to a pale green. Some have speckles.
I said nothing about sex linkage since this cross of Legbar Rooster over Black Copper Marans won't produce any.

Yes, that’s right- that was me referring to Olive back crosses and not Marsbars like in my original question, I got mixed up 😂

So just to confirm!
I’m in the U.K.-

I’m breeding a Pure Cream Legbar rooster to my Copper Black Marans
So far one chick has hatched, black with a white spot on head although I know that this spot doesn’t denote anything because of the way I’ve done the cross (not sex linked).
Would love to see photos of this same cross if possible -
Sorry for confusion!

So just to confirm!
I’m in the U.K.-

So far one chick has hatched, black with a white spot on head although I know that this spot doesn’t denote anything because of the way I’ve done the cross (not sex linked).
Sorry for confusion!
Sounds like they're going to be Barred.

So just to confirm!
I’m in the U.K.-

Sorry for confusion!
I'm in the UK too and crossed my CL cockerel with my Marans (do not know if they mother was my Blue copper or Black copper), they hatched 3 days ago and I got one yellow chick with feathered legs, one black barred chick feathered legs and one black barred chick with no feathering on legs:
PXL_20210401_095318901.jpg
PXL_20210401_100940175.jpg
PXL_20210401_101931764.jpg

Ask some questions on the genetics due to the random yellow chick, and apparently, it's likely that one of my maran hens might have some wheaten Maran genetics! But if your hen is a pure black copper maran, you should get black barred chicks :jumpy

I'm in the UK too and crossed my CL cockerel with my Marans (do not know if they mother was my Blue copper or Black copper), they hatched 3 days ago and I got one yellow chick with feathered legs, one black barred chick feathered legs and one black barred chick with no feathering on legs:
View attachment 2596793View attachment 2596794View attachment 2596795

Ask some questions on the genetics due to the random yellow chick, and apparently, it's likely that one of my maran hens might have some wheaten Maran genetics! But if your hen is a pure black copper maran, you should get black barred chicks :jumpy
Thanks so much! I only had one hatch as it was kind of a fertility experiment- lots more due to hatch. The one that hatched looks like your third photo although I’ve not studied it’s legs yet! The hens are pure Copper black Marans.

Thanks so much! I only had one hatch as it was kind of a fertility experiment- lots more due to hatch. The one that hatched looks like your third photo although I’ve not studied it’s legs yet! The hens are pure Copper black Marans.
Screenshot (24).png

this is the genetics for a pure breed Cream Legbar with Purebred Black copper maran hen... I think ... Might be wrong though!

Back
Top Bottom