Marsh Turn X incubator - old model questions

I remember these incubators well. I believe they had 2 different models that used the light bulb for heat. One of my teachers in grade school had one and I borrowed it a few times. I found one just like it on ebay years later and purchased it. I love those little Marsh Turn-X incubators.

I remember these incubators well. I believe they had 2 different models that used the light bulb for heat. One of my teachers in grade school had one and I borrowed it a few times. I found one just like it on ebay years later and purchased it. I love those little Marsh Turn-X incubators.
They are very interesting incubator, I would like to have one though I don't need it. Just being nostalgic I guess. The Lyons Transparent Hen is another awesome vintage incubator.

Years ago I worked for Marsh Farms in Garden Grove, California where I grew up. Those old Marsh Turn-x still air incubators worked very well. I notice that the one in the photo has a clear or white lite bulb, if one wants to use the incubator, I'd highly recommend obtaining a 40 watt green or blue bulb as the clear can blind chicks. I would love to have one of those old still airs though some parts are hard to obtain now. We sold many of those incubators to schools and folks who just wanted to hatch eggs for their own use. I even helped build those incubators. Mr. Marsh was very ingenious and the original still air Marsh Turn-X incubators were made from clear cover cake plates! When Marsh could no longer obtain those, he then designed his own cover and plates which are what is used on the incubators being manufactured now. Marsh also designed an automatic turner for the Turn-X incubators.
In looking through the replies, I realized that I had posted a reply to this a while back. Hope that the incubator worked out ok. Getting to that age where not all things yours truly does are remembered LOL!

Last edited:
Hi there, I have the automatic turning Marsh Farms auto turning with thermostat...I don't seem to have the instructions though. So ours doesn't have a bulb...It's been in the attic for 30 years...We have chickens again but don't use the Turn X...
Came across this cleaning while home from the Covid shut down...

This is way after the fact but I saw your post on here and made an account to communicate with you. How I would love to find one of those original Marsh Turn X incubators like you have! Many years ago I worked for Marsh Farms and one of my jobs was building those very incubators. They actually worked quite well. I would far rather have one of those than the more modern ones. If you are going to use that I would STRONGLY S suggest that you try to obtain the blue 40 watt bulbs we used in them. They seemed to work well with thermostat to keep the temperature stable. Also when chicks hatch the blue is much better for the chicks eyes, regular lights bulbs are too harsh.

Once in a while we had problems with the thermostats but they weren't hard to replace. Just don't know about the availability of that particular theremostat. It may the that Stromberg may have them.

Don't know which "turning ring" you have but the dome should have 2 knobs with bolt head protruding inside to fit into slots in the turning ring for turning the eggs and there should be a small cup in the center of the base to put water in for humidity.

If I were able to locate one of these old Turn X incubators with the dome and base plate intact, I would sure pounce on it as I am sure I could probably get it working, if the incubator was actually in operational shape that would be fudge icing on the cake.

I have three tuning rings but the plasticon the wires are getting brittle. Been trying to find something I could make then out of. I converted this to the electronic thermostat shortly after I bought it. I have the turner too

Attachments

• 20210406_091510.jpg
    20210406_091510.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210323_183234.jpg
    20210323_183234.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210323_183222.jpg
    20210323_183222.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210323_182854.jpg
    20210323_182854.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210323_182845.jpg
    20210323_182845.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210323_183242.jpg
    20210323_183242.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210406_101414.jpg
    20210406_101414.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210406_101633.jpg
    20210406_101633.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 6
Years ago I worked for Marsh Farms in Garden Grove, California where I grew up. Those old Marsh Turn-x still air incubators worked very well. I notice that the one in the photo has a clear or white lite bulb, if one wants to use the incubator, I'd highly recommend obtaining a 40 watt green or blue bulb as the clear can blind chicks. I would love to have one of those old still airs though some parts are hard to obtain now. We sold many of those incubators to schools and folks who just wanted to hatch eggs for their own use. I even helped build those incubators. Mr. Marsh was very ingenious and the original still air Marsh Turn-X incubators were made from clear cover cake plates! When Marsh could no longer obtain those, he then designed his own cover and plates which are what is used on the incubators being manufactured now. Marsh also designed an automatic turner for the Turn-X incubators.
In looking through the replies, I realized that I had posted a reply to this a while back. Hope that the incubator worked out ok. Getting to that age where not all things yours truly does are remembered LOL!
I have a 1970's model of this incubator that you can have if interested. I found it at my parent's house, we lived nearby Marsh Farms. Email me at [email protected]

Back
Top Bottom