Maryland State Poultry Fanciers Association Fall Show

Quote:
Ah, I will find you and sell you my ducks, Muahaha!!
lol.png

Good luck with that my babysitter - huh I mean hubby will be there watching like a hawk!
roll.png

He's not happy with the trio of khakis I just got or the buff pair on the way. So he has put his foot down.
For now
lau.gif

I would have more but.....
Well we will see.

This is my first time entering a show and I'm wondering what I need to bring other than paperwork and the hen being entered.
Do the cages have feed/water dishes?
Since it is overnight, should I bring a lock for the cage?
Anything else????????

Hi Thomas, welcome! The show will have plastic or paper feed & water cups for each cage, as well as shavings. They have bags of feed you can use to feed your birds. All you need to bring are your birds, testing paperwork, and any last minute touch-up supplies (brush/comb, vaseline to shine up combs, beaks, etc., baby powder to keep fluffy butts poo free). If you have valuable birds like Silkies (hot item for thieves) then YES, bring a lock for the cage. I personally had a Silkie stolen from a show, as have several others. I check in on my birds at night right before the show hall closes. Hope this helps.
smile.png

Quote:
They'll have cups for food and water, but a lot of folks bring their own. It's personal preference. If you are showing Silkies or Polish you'll want to invest in some pop bottle waterers (and some folks wait to feed and water 'till after the birds have been judged). Nothing worse than having your squeaky clean bird dunk their crest in their water (and subsequently get it totally filthy) before being judged! Me, I like to bring my own cups and my own feed even though, like fattie said, the show provides it. I like to keep the birds on what I feed every day, plus I feed a lot of extras, so it just works best for me.

I don't usually lock cages, but if you do, don't do what I did this past weekend at the National in Indianapolis and FORGET TO UNLOCK YOUR CAGE!
barnie.gif
In addition to my crew of Dutch I had taken a Tolbunt hen, and I decided that at such a huge show I'd feel better going ahead and locking her cage. I brought a small, keyed padlock and locked the cage Thursday night after we cooped in...well, I got to the show early enough the next morning, but I got busy cleaning up my Dutch and didn't get to her 'till about 9:15. Long story short, they had started judging the Polish at 9 a.m. sharp, and the judge had already tried to judge my bird. Of course, he couldn't. So he wrote "Cage Locked" in big letters across the coop card. He might as well have written "IDIOT!" in big letters across my forehead for all the world to see.
lol.png
I was totally embarrassed. I know better, but I just didn't expect the pullet to be one of the first birds judged! So if you lock your cages, learn from my mistake and promptly unlock them in the morning.
tongue.png

I will be there Saturday morning. Not showing anything, just there to see the beautiful birds and talk to some friends.

Is anyone bringing anything to sell, and if so, what?
tongue.png

I sold my last pair of ducks, but I will be bringing quite a few beautiful Mille Fleur Cochin bantams to sell. 2 grown Roos and some pretty juvenile birds.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom