MARYLAND THREAD!

I kept bees for a bit last year.  

Did you really?! Did the bees do well for you? And where did you get them from? I'm strongly considering building a top bar hive, as I'm not interested in picking up supers with honey in them, and ordering a bee suit, veil and gloves, but finding bees that would do well here and would arrive at the same time as the nectar flow is a little more difficult.

They did well actually. I had two hives. I can't remember where I bought the bees from but definitely get local bees. They are already acclimated to Maryland's weather. I couldn't keep my bees. My reaction to bee stings was getting worse so I made the decision to get rid of them. Below is a great thread. Sgtmom has a lot of knowledge in bees and she's in PA.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...rted-beekeeping-so-exciting/530#post_11180015

Any of you keep bees? If so, please message me. I'd like to learn more about beekeeping, but hubby's work schedule, my work schedule, and my oldest son's swimming schedule conflict with the local beekeeper associations' meetings
sad.png
I'm reading all I can find, but local and more specific information would be helpful.
Sent you a PM about bees.

They did well actually.  I had two hives.  I can't remember where I bought the bees from but definitely get local bees.  They are already acclimated to Maryland's weather.  I couldn't keep my bees.  My reaction to bee stings was getting worse so I made the decision to get rid of them.  Below is a great thread.  Sgtmom has a lot of knowledge in bees and she's in PA.  

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...rted-beekeeping-so-exciting/530#post_11180015

Cool, thanks for the link.

Funny that you mention the stings...that is something I am concerned about. The last time I was stung by a bee was like 20 years ago. But I was stung by a wasp in the last few years, and my leg swelled so badly I couldn't get pants on for a week! I read on a couple bee sites that wasp stings are less reactive than bees...if that is the case, a bee sting might be really, really bad for me. So....I'm going to keep studying, maybe see an allergist and build or buy hive. If I don't use it, I could always sell it at the swap, right?

Sent you a PM about bees.

Thanks ;)

Cool, thanks for the link.

Funny that you mention the stings...that is something I am concerned about. The last time I was stung by a bee was like 20 years ago. But I was stung by a wasp in the last few years, and my leg swelled so badly I couldn't get pants on for a week! I read on a couple bee sites that wasp stings are less reactive than bees...if that is the case, a bee sting might be really, really bad for me. So....I'm going to keep studying, maybe see an allergist and build or buy hive. If I don't use it, I could always sell it at the swap, right?
Thanks
wink.png
For me, the bee stings got worse. The last sting I got swelled up quite a bit. That's when I decided it wasn't worth it. You can also have someone put a hive on your property. The hive owners take care of all the maintenance on the hives and usually they share some of the honey, if there is any, with you.

For me, the bee stings got worse.  The last sting I got swelled up quite a bit.  That's when I decided it wasn't worth it.  You can also have someone put a hive on your property.  The hive owners take care of all the maintenance on the hives and usually they share some of the honey, if there is any, with you.  

I saw that that happened to you in the thread. What a bummer! Sounded like you were having such fun with the bees. I did find in that thread where you got the bees...it was a place I have been considering too.

Anyone in the Mount airy area want to go in on a bin of pumpkins!  Someone in Walkersville has bins of pumpkins for sale.

How much are they charging? I was thinking of going around town after Halloween to see if places would sell them at half price. I want some to store for winter, but I do not have room to store lots and lots of them. Like I do not think I have room for half a box, but maybe 1/4th a box. Darn hens picked a hole in a couple of the pumpkins I bought to carve for our church Halloween party next week, so I know they will eat them.

Back
Top Bottom