MARYLAND THREAD!

That's a really good price for Ameraucanas. Seeing them put "Maran", their low prices, and some of the other stuff on the site makes me feel iffy about them, though.
Well they bought the stock and use the descriptions (and even pictures) from Whitmore. I've gotten a lot of chickens from that stock and been pleased. Also, the Whitmore place was immaculate and extremely well taken care of. I have no idea if Deer Run takes the same care of the chicken stock that Whitmore did, but I don't think Deer Run has owned the stock long enough to mess it up! (But who knows, I am no chicken expert).
I'd go check them out if you were at all interested- it's a nice drive out there.

Well they bought the stock and use the descriptions (and even pictures) from Whitmore. I've gotten a lot of chickens from that stock and been pleased. Also, the Whitmore place was immaculate and extremely well taken care of. I have no idea if Deer Run takes the same care of the chicken stock that Whitmore did, but I don't think Deer Run has owned the stock long enough to mess it up! (But who knows, I am no chicken expert).
I'd go check them out if you were at all interested- it's a nice drive out there.
Where is it?
* Never mind; found it 1/2 hr. from me.

Last edited:
I just mean some of the information about their birds and other information on the website is inaccurate. For instance, anyone who could be taken seriously as a breeder of quality Marans would not call them "Maran" nor say that the American standard does not call for feathered shanks. It is nice that they treat for Mycoplasma, but some of the information they provide about it is contradictory. They also call the name "Easter Egger" a "catch all name with very little meaning", which is inaccurate. I do notice little details like that.

However, given their prices I suppose they are more interested in providing pet quality birds anyway, which is fine as long as the buyer realizes that.

As far as the cleanliness of the place... Well, just because you have an immaculate kitchen doesn't mean you know much about cooking. The same could be said of a clean farm and breeding for quality.

I just mean some of the information about their birds and other information on the website is inaccurate. For instance, anyone who could be taken seriously as a breeder of quality Marans would not call them "Maran" nor say that the American standard does not call for feathered shanks. It is nice that they treat for Mycoplasma, but some of the information they provide about it is contradictory. They also call the name "Easter Egger" a "catch all name with very little meaning", which is inaccurate. I do notice little details like that.

However, given their prices I suppose they are more interested in providing pet quality birds anyway, which is fine as long as the buyer realizes that.

As far as the cleanliness of the place... Well, just because you have an immaculate kitchen doesn't mean you know much about cooking. The same could be said of a clean farm and breeding for quality.
I just don't find an immaculate kitchen that is taken care of around the clock by a dedicated team of interns and employees to be iffy... Especially when I like the food! To each his own, though

If anyone near Wicomico county is interested in raising their own meat, I got ten warmer chicks in my order last week. Is grow them out myself but it isn't a good time. Hopefully the house will be sold before they reach butcher weight.

Back
Top Bottom