MARYLAND THREAD!

Pics
The chickens have arrived. Since they had a hard trip I've put them in my office in the rabbit hutch where they'll stay for the next few days before I move them to the other makeshift brooder: a dog kennel, big. It is in the workshop so I'm concerned about them staying warm but I've put a little recording thermostat so I'll know the next couple of days if it gets to cold in there.
Yay! new chicks are so cute! best of luck to you!

Thanks I will check the farm store for Corid tomorrow. You never can be too careful! Also is medicated starter still okay to feed?

And no powdered milk? I bought a giant bag. well i guess i have some baking to do. I am also going to call the farm where i got them he had a hatch due today.

I was considering driving to Whitmore farms and getting some Wellsummers and Ameraucana's instead. I need to wait for some $ though and its far!!!

Thanks again!

-Annette

I use powdered Corid because that is what my local TSC had, 1 teaspoon per gallon, mixed up fresh daily, if I think I have a coccidia problem. 5 days. No extra vitamins during that time. I've lost a couple chicks to cocci, and for me, it's just always been one chick out of the lot die. I had one bunch all become mildly affected -- they had ruffled feathers as their only symptom until one died with diarrhea, but I necropsied and determined it was cocci (I am a vet). That lot was already on medicated feed, but it is not a cure, only a possible preventative.....which doesn't always work.

I never give my birds dairy products. I do not think it a good idea. Best thing right now is to medicate the chicks and ensure they eat, and they won't want to eat anythng new if they don't feel good.

For the first time in months, I have no chicks in the house! Yay!

I use powdered Corid because that is what my local TSC had, 1 teaspoon per gallon, mixed up fresh daily, if I think I have a coccidia problem. 5 days. No extra vitamins during that time. I've lost a couple chicks to cocci, and for me, it's just always been one chick out of the lot die. I had one bunch all become mildly affected -- they had ruffled feathers as their only symptom until one died with diarrhea, but I necropsied and determined it was cocci (I am a vet). That lot was already on medicated feed, but it is not a cure, only a possible preventative.....which doesn't always work.

I never give my birds dairy products. I do not think it a good idea. Best thing right now is to medicate the chicks and ensure they eat, and they won't want to eat anythng new if they don't feel good.

For the first time in months, I have no chicks in the house! Yay!
You can also give them liquid Corid directly in their beak if you think they are really sick. Gets it in their system quicker and a full strength dose does not hurt them. I've done it before and had them turn around quicker.

Congrats on the no chicks in the house. I'm getting there.
hide.gif

I just ordered 12 chicks from Whitmore yesterday. Will said that there was a waiting list depending on the breed, so if you want chicks this spring you have to order soon and he can't give a guaranteed date as it depends on the hatch. He only accepts orders through the website to be able to keep track. I ordered 6 ameraucanas and 6 anconas. Hopefully I'll have them sometime in May. Eventually I'm going to harvest some of my older (and more obnoxious) hens to make room in the coop, but for the next 6 months they can still give me some nice eggs
tongue.png

I don't know if i will ever be able to "harvest" my hens. i am a softie. I don't know what I will do when they don't lay any more and DS thinks they need to be on the dinner plate. I guess i need to order sooner then later.

I just ordered 12 chicks from Whitmore yesterday. Will said that there was a waiting list depending on the breed, so if you want chicks this spring you have to order soon and he can't give a guaranteed date as it depends on the hatch. He only accepts orders through the website to be able to keep track. I ordered 6 ameraucanas and 6 anconas. Hopefully I'll have them sometime in May. Eventually I'm going to harvest some of my older (and more obnoxious) hens to make room in the coop, but for the next 6 months they can still give me some nice eggs
tongue.png
My experience with him is that there is often a ( well worth it) wait for his chicks, that being said I've gotten chicks and hatching eggs from him at the Maryland poultry swap in the past- so if you plan to attend then you might be able to pick some up. Of course it's also worth getting the birds directly from him just to see his incredible farm.

Yes, his chickens are real good quality. Only thing I do not like is that he doesn't sex the chicks. Last year I got 4 ameraucana's from him. 3 boys and 1 girl. I felt sorry for the lady I sold the two extra to that I did not want. She ended up with two roos. I had one roo and one hen. So here's to hoping that this year's pick will be a bit better mix. But that is why I am counting on at least 6 roos of the 12 that I ordered this year.

Yes, his chickens are real good quality. Only thing I do not like is that he doesn't sex the chicks. Last year I got 4 ameraucana's from him. 3 boys and 1 girl. I felt sorry for the lady I sold the two extra to that I did not want. She ended up with two roos. I had one roo and one hen. So here's to hoping that this year's pick will be a bit better mix. But that is why I am counting on at least 6 roos of the 12 that I ordered this year.

I'm not sure about my Ameraucanas yet, but so far it looks like 4/6 Anconas are roosters, and 2/7 Delawares are roosters, Welsummers should be all ladies. I'd say those are pretty good odds! It's probably just a case of the more you buy, the better luck you'll have.

When I went up to pick them up, he even let me pick out which I wanted--so the 4/6 Anconas are my fault, really ;)

Back
Top Bottom