MARYLAND THREAD!

Pics
Another reason I can't adopt is the fencing requirement. I have seven acres with chicken coops spread across it; I need the dog(s) to cover it, not just a backyard. I'm not fencing seven acres. It would cost thousands and thousands, plus I already fenced for horses (and spent thousands and thousands on that already). My small farm friends with LGDs use the Stubborn Dog fencing kit with great success.

The boys want to show some chickens at a county fair this summer. It seems like way more work than its worth. It is way more than I remember, but I haven't shown or been a part of showing birds, other than inspecting at the fairs from 2002-2004, in many years.

Am I reading this correctly that if I placed a numbered band on the birds we select as show birds, have an NPIP tester come out within 10 days of the show to test my flock, and fill out the self certified form, we would be good to go?

We have four lovely bantam Cochin roosters and a bunch of Silkies we could take, and it would be fun to show off a few of my Swedish Flower Hens, just as a novelty.

The NPIP tester will place the numbered bands on which ever chickens you are showing.
The P/T test and results are done on the spot, as long as you are showing in Maryland and live in Maryland no A/I test is required.

You will likely have to separate those birds tested from other non-tested birds until after the show.

Last edited:
I saw that about separating. I'd probably just end up testing the whole lot, honestly.

I did see the 10 day requirement is in regards to AI, which is lifted for MD birds this year.

That is likely your best bet (getting the whole flock checked) just incase something happens to one of the birds you want to show you could use another.

Than get the A/I done at the same time 10% of flock or 30 birds which ever is greater, beside that's the easy part other than having to be done once every 3 months. You may want to consider going for the training to be a tester in February in Fredrick or Salisbury.

I did testing as a vet student many years ago. I'll have to look into being certified myself. But usually courses are on weekends, and I'm at work. I'll see what I can work out.

Anyone close to the Denton area looking for land to use. We have 16 acres of residential unused land. Prime location for a moderate sized flock. The land is sitting..we'd love to see someone make use of it. Farmer next door does corn.

Back
Top Bottom