MARYLAND THREAD!

Pics
This thread is huge- and I have seen where this issue was addressed before, but it was from years ago.

I'm looking for a processor for about ten birds. I'm not averse to doing it myself, and that was the idea when I ordered my first batch of meat birds. But I live in a densely populated area outside Rockville, so I'm thinking I may not want to make too much of a mess. My neighbors have fallen in love with our laying flock, and I don't have the heart to tell them the new chicks are for meat. lol. So I kinda don't want to upset them. An important part to having backyard birds in an area like mine is having happy neighbors.

I'm sure I'll have to travel. Frederick isn't too much of a drive. Like any backyard chicken farmer, cost is key. trying to keep it low. I've looked up all the registered MD processors, and they are almost all beef, hog, lamb, and goat only.

Thanks for the help!

Last I heard, there was a place near Sharpsburg, you hand over the birds at 7 am, come back after 2 pm and pick them up.
Maybe somebody will post name/address if he still does it.

I'm in Clarksburg , just outside Germantown and have the contact for a local man the will process small batches of poultry. Haven't used him yet myself, but have a couple of turkeys I plan to send him in November. PM me if you want his info, don't want to publicly post it.

Judy England at England Acres in Mount Airy would likely also have contact information. She raises 30-100 at a time and has them processed for sale in her farm store. And as you have found, there is no official poultry processer in MD.

I would like to try Nutrena feed, but their website doesn't indicate what feed is sold where. I know TSC does not carry Nutrena poultry feeds, which is like half the list. But there are some smaller locally owned feedstores on the list. Does any feedstore actually carry their chicken feed?

I would like to try Nutrena feed, but their website doesn't indicate what feed is sold where. I know TSC does not carry Nutrena poultry feeds, which is like half the list. But there are some smaller locally owned feedstores on the list. Does any feedstore actually carry their chicken feed?
Walkersville Feed carries it. I'm going to give Blue Seal a try when I get rid of my current feed.

There is a small feed store in Cecil County that carries it. They are associated with The Mill in Harford County so they might carry it also. I tried Nutrena once but it was too powdery. Might have just been that one bag though.

Back
Top Bottom