MARYLAND THREAD!

Where did you acquire your slaughter cones? I grew up the old fashioned way of chopping heads and letting them flop. Having seen some cones on U-Tube, it seems like a better way to go. I have some older hens and some roosters who will head to freezer camp this fall.

Last edited:
Bleach jugs work well. I tend to hang mine on the clothesline and cut their throats though, with minimal flopping. My dad used to axe and let them flop, but I don't care for it. I am working out how to do 30 birds fairly quickly right now and debating making more cones, so we could just drop the birds in, or tying them to the clothesline.

Last edited:
Well, urgh. I won't be making this fall swap either. My boss is going out of town, and I'll be working the 19th, 20th and 21st. Sigh. I was kind of hoping he just needed me the 19th and 20th and I could get him to take the 21st, but alas....

But over the winter, I'll get my behind in gear, make things (I sew very, very well and own an embroidery machine in addition to the rest of my machines.....how cute would be some chicken embroidered towels, shirts and totes? Chicken saddles...aprons...tote bags...quilts...I could go crazy here. Can also bake amazing goodies) and plan to bring things to the spring swap. And maybe by then I will have oodles of SFH eggs or chicks, from the first MD flock, to sell.

Well, urgh. I won't be making this fall swap either. My boss is going out of town, and I'll be working the 19th, 20th and 21st. Sigh. I was kind of hoping he just needed me the 19th and 20th and I could get him to take the 21st, but alas....

But over the winter, I'll get my behind in gear, make things (I sew very, very well and own an embroidery machine in addition to the rest of my machines.....how cute would be some chicken embroidered towels, shirts and totes? Chicken saddles...aprons...tote bags...quilts...I could go crazy here. Can also bake amazing goodies) and plan to bring things to the spring swap. And maybe by then I will have oodles of SFH eggs or chicks, from the first MD flock, to sell.

I can't wait to go! All of your items sound awesome! I hope you make it out sometime! Maybe for the spring!
fl.gif

And SFH would prolly go over very well!! :D

Hey everyone! I haven't been on this thread in a while, but I'm happy to report that I pre-ordered 8 red rangers and 2 cornish X for meat, and 3 Easter Eggers, a barred rock, a pearl white leghorn and a brown leghorn for eggs. Chicks are coming in October. This will be a new experience for us, having chicks in the fall and winter, instead of spring and summer.

I think I have posted about feed b4:

A neighbor and I split a ton of whole grains about 2-3x's a year. We each have milling equipment (bought from Premier) and I grind my own every few days. Whole grains will keep much longer then milled/cracked grains - they go rancid.

I go and get the grain from http://mcgearyorganics.com/ - this is certified organic whole grains
Jan goes to Countryside to get the rest of the ingredients for the mix.

Anyone that would like to add their volume to ours would be welcome.
If you'd like to see what/how please feel free to come over for a visit

chicken feed 20# total volume weight

fish meal 6.4 oz
kelp6.4oz
Fertrell poultry nutri-balancer 9.6oz
aragonite (calcium) or oyster shell 24oz
alfalfa (.17) (use @ 5% of feed) 16oz
corn (.08) 96oz
soybean (.38) 64oz
wheat (.10) <30% 48oz
field peas (.23) 20% 16oz
oats (.10) or +barley <15% 16oz

flax seed (.22) (use@5% of feed)16oz
(% protein)
total 99.5 16.38%

I think I have posted about feed b4:

A neighbor and I split a ton of whole grains about 2-3x's a year. We each have milling equipment (bought from Premier) and I grind my own every few days. Whole grains will keep much longer then milled/cracked grains - they go rancid.

I go and get the grain from http://mcgearyorganics.com/ - this is certified organic whole grains
Jan goes to Countryside to get the rest of the ingredients for the mix.

Anyone that would like to add their volume to ours would be welcome.
If you'd like to see what/how please feel free to come over for a visit

chicken feed 20# total volume weight

fish meal 6.4 oz
kelp6.4oz
Fertrell poultry nutri-balancer 9.6oz
aragonite (calcium) or oyster shell 24oz
alfalfa (.17) (use @ 5% of feed) 16oz
corn (.08) 96oz
soybean (.38) 64oz
wheat (.10) <30% 48oz
field peas (.23) 20% 16oz
oats (.10) or +barley <15% 16oz

flax seed (.22) (use@5% of feed)16oz
(% protein)
total 99.5 16.38%

Yes, Please!!!! I'd love to go in on your next batch! I'm new to chickens, I have 13 chicks (hopefully hens) that are 8 weeks old and I'd like to be all organic but it is getting expensive. I'm not far from you, I'm up on Gambrill Park, just north of Frederick. I'm so glad I saw this post :) Just let me know what to do, how to help, what to pay, yadda yadda...

Back
Top Bottom