MARYLAND THREAD!

No NPIP cert is still acceptable. Birds must be individually identified, but this has been a requirement for several years. No changes to poultry sales or exhibition this year. Only need testing/NPIP id and a self certification to exhibit. This is a form that can be found on our website it just states you have looked oyur birds over and you are not aware of any health issues.

Nice to see Animal Health joining this thread! It is a great forum for getting information out.

So based on your information, I do have two questions.

Background: I have an NPIP/AI certified flock in Virginia (VA 52-268). I am also a certified NPIP tester and registered poultry dealer in Virginia. NPIP requires annual testing and AI requires six month testing. In Virginia, the AI testing may be accomplished by actual technician testing of the birds or the shipment of 30 eggs for AI testing. Given these time frames, it is quite easy to get to a show or sale date in which young birds have not been individually tested and wearing their associated bracelet. Likewise, NPIP testing is not permissible on birds under four months of age.

Question 1: Would provision of the NPIP/AI certification paperwork that documents flock status be sufficient or would you still want/require the individual bird who comes from the certified flock to be tested and wearing a bracelet? What about the selling of chicks at chicken swap with stock from Virginia, e.g., Sharpsburg Swap?

Question 2: Since I live on the border of Maryland (on the Virginia side of the river), would Maryland allow me to become certified under the Maryland NPIP program such that I can be of service on both sides of the river?

Many thanks in advance for your response! I would like to absolutely know the rules of the road for showing and doing business in Maryland such that I do not inadvertently stumble over or violate any rules.

Also links to your website would be helpful, too.

Last edited:
Nice to see Animal Health joining this thread! It is a great forum for getting information out.

So based on your information, I do have two questions.

Background: I have an NPIP/AI certified flock in Virginia (VA 52-268). I am also a certified NPIP tester and registered poultry dealer in Virginia. NPIP requires annual testing and AI requires six month testing. In Virginia, the AI testing may be accomplished by actual technician testing of the birds or the shipment of 30 eggs for AI testing. Given these time frames, it is quite easy to get to a show or sale date in which young birds have not been individually tested and wearing their associated bracelet. Likewise, NPIP testing is not permissible on birds under four months of age.

Question 1: Would provision of the NPIP/AI certification paperwork that documents flock status be sufficient or would you still want/require the individual bird who comes from the certified flock to be tested and wearing a bracelet? What about the selling of chicks at chicken swap with stock from Virginia, e.g., Sharpsburg Swap?

Question 2: Since I live on the border of Maryland (on the Virginia side of the river), would Maryland allow me to become certified under the Maryland NPIP program such that I can be of service on both sides of the river?

Many thanks in advance for your response! I would like to absolutely know the rules of the road for showing and doing business in Maryland such that I do not inadvertently stumble over or violate any rules.

Also links to your website would be helpful, too.

For specific questions, please contact our office at 410-841-5810 or email at: [email protected] I am an inspector who decided to check out this site and answer some questions. I will only be on here occasionally so please use our contacts to ask any questions you have. The Maryland extension service also has a lot of contacts and information so please feel free to contact your local extension with questions as well.

I'm looking for a processor. I was given a name a while back, but this particular guy is busy processing deer. Thanks in advance.

Contact Deanna Baldwin with the MD Food Quality Assurance Program @ 410-841-5769 or visit the web page @ http://mda.maryland.gov/foodfeedquality/Pages/food_feed_quality.aspx There are requirements for meat sales in MD and she can help you find a processor that will meet the requirements for sales. Also check with your local health dept as they may have refrigeration or other requirements for your area. Many farm insurance companies also require you to disclose if you are holding products for sale or else they will not cover a claim if someone gets sick from your product.

I'm looking for a processor. I was given a name a while back, but this particular guy is busy processing deer. Thanks in advance.
I DIY. I'm not reselling, just for my family. It isn't hard. There are some very good threads here with instructions. I do not have any birds for processing now or I could show you....probably won't be processing again until fall.

Contact Deanna Baldwin with the MD Food Quality Assurance Program @ 410-841-5769 or visit the web page @ http://mda.maryland.gov/foodfeedquality/Pages/food_feed_quality.aspx There are requirements for meat sales in MD and she can help you find a processor that will meet the requirements for sales. Also check with your local health dept as they may have refrigeration or other requirements for your area. Many farm insurance companies also require you to disclose if you are holding products for sale or else they will not cover a claim if someone gets sick from your product.

Are there any links for regulations for selling fertile hatching eggs?

Contact Deanna Baldwin with the MD Food Quality Assurance Program @ 410-841-5769 or visit the web page @ http://mda.maryland.gov/foodfeedquality/Pages/food_feed_quality.aspx There are requirements for meat sales in MD and she can help you find a processor that will meet the requirements for sales. Also check with your local health dept as they may have refrigeration or other requirements for your area. Many farm insurance companies also require you to disclose if you are holding products for sale or else they will not cover a claim if someone gets sick from your product.

I hope this isn't too off topic but can anyone recommend a source for farm insurance that would cover the sale of produce? I am trying to help my disabled son start a business and finding affordable liability insurance is a big stumbling block. We aren't selling eating eggs or meat, just produce at one location where the vendor sells produce from multiple, mostly local farmers.

Back
Top Bottom