MARYLAND THREAD!

Martins Meadow Poultry
Certified Number: MD771
Rufus D Martin
Keedysville, MD
301-432-8604
Products: Chickens, Turkeys

Rufus and family process birds every Tuesday. Drop off Monday night p/u Tuesday afternoon.

This link will get a current list of processors in MD

2013 Md Certified Poultry/Rabbit on Farm Processors

I find that if i only have a few birds to do - especially this time of year - that skinning is faster then setting up the water bath.

Barry

Maryland only requires NPIP or individual testing and wing or leg bands to be shown or sold. Nothing is changing for the poultry these have been the requirements for many years. New identification rules have come out from the feds for livestock moving interstate and MD is applying the same rules to intrastate exhibitions as well. I work for Maryland Dept of Ag and would be happy to answer any questions any of you have. We are working hard to dispell all of the myths about poultry and MDA. Registration is free and is a law. See Annotated Code § 3-804. Registration. Occasionally we send out some biosecurity information, but generally we only contact you if we really have a need like a disease outbreak. Check out our website http://mda.maryland.gov/animalHealth/Pages/default.aspx or call us @ 410-841-5810. Hope this helps clear things up.
I remember very well that testing was only necessary for 10% of the breeding flock up to 10 birds and you did NOT have to test EVERY SINGLE bird to be sold at an exhibition (poultry show). I found an old link to that specific page with those regs and now I get this http://www.mda.state.md.us/utility/...animal_health/fair_show/index.php&k=index.php "page not found."

The rules have changed... and they keep making it more difficult to show and sell poultry in MD. Considering the average hen sells for $10, how do you suppose this will work out for the small scale farmer when selling at events? Unless MD intends to offer free testing services like WV, then I suspect it won't work out for the small farmer. If anyone on here would like to hear more info on what you can do to get involved and let your voice be heard, please message me. If you have a few hens for your backyard... you probably won't be affected. But, for those of you who reside in MD and sell poultry in MD, you will be affected by these NEW regulations. In addition, the state vet has made it clear that there are plans to regulate ALL sales of poultry in MD by requiring these event restrictions on all of us. That isn't a myth... it was directly from the horse's mouth. They may not have the "teeth" to enforce it but, I believe it's our responsibility to get active and make our voices heard. If we don't... then, there's no curbing the regs from increasing... and they always do. They never decrease.

...wanted to ad: Registration IS FREE in MD. Unfortunately, the testing is not. Testing every bird for every sale is not reasonable. Hiring a tester to come out to my farm and test every single sale bird before every event would be expensive and economically damaging to any profit I plan to make. Many of us rely on the sales of our birds at swaps and shows to supplement our income in a tough economy. Further unnecessary pressure is extremely frustrating. I have been tested quarterly in the past. That can be expensive as it is.. There needs to be more emphasis on education and less focus on regulation, IMO

Last edited:
I remember very well that testing was only necessary for 10% of the breeding flock up to 10 birds and you did NOT have to test EVERY SINGLE bird to be sold at an exhibition (poultry show). I found an old link to that specific page with those regs and now I get this http://www.mda.state.md.us/utility/...animal_health/fair_show/index.php&k=index.php "page not found."

The rules have changed... and they keep making it more difficult to show and sell poultry in MD. Considering the average hen sells for $10, how do you suppose this will work out for the small scale farmer when selling at events? Unless MD intends to offer free testing services like WV, then I suspect it won't work out for the small farmer. If anyone on here would like to hear more info on what you can do to get involved and let your voice be heard, please message me. If you have a few hens for your backyard... you probably won't be affected. But, for those of you who reside in MD and sell poultry in MD, you will be affected by these NEW regulations. In addition, the state vet has made it clear that there are plans to regulate ALL sales of poultry in MD by requiring these event restrictions on all of us. That isn't a myth... it was directly from the horse's mouth. They may not have the "teeth" to enforce it but, I believe it's our responsibility to get active and make our voices heard. If we don't... then, there's no curbing the regs from increasing... and they always do. They never decrease.

...wanted to ad: Registration IS FREE in MD. Unfortunately, the testing is not. Testing every bird for every sale is not reasonable. Hiring a tester to come out to my farm and test every single sale bird before every event would be expensive and economically damaging to any profit I plan to make. Many of us rely on the sales of our birds at swaps and shows to supplement our income in a tough economy. Further unnecessary pressure is extremely frustrating. I have been tested quarterly in the past. That can be expensive as it is. There needs to be more emphasis on education and less focus on regulation, IMO

FWIW, I live across the river in Virginia and have an NPIP/AI certified flock and I am also a certified NPIP tester.

Virginia does not require flock registration. There are no new Federal edicts that require flock registration. Virginia promotes and wants folks to get their flocks into the NPIP/AI program and make it as easy as I think it can be. Most testers, my self included, do not charge anything or very little. Generally, we would like to have our expenses covered to get to and from the flock to be tested. The State of Virginia provides me with the testing materials, the leg bands, and devices at no charge. For AI testing, the flock owner has two choices. A tester can come out do do the AI testing for which presumably there would be a charge. Or, every six months, the flock owner can mail the State Vet Lab 30 eggs for AI testing. This AI testing and results are provided at no charge to the flock owner.

Basically, each State must decide whether the benefits to their industries are worth making things as easy as possible or whether they want to nickel and dime the small folks with fees and burdensome regulations. Just what are the goals that the State wants to achieve?

When I was transferred back to this region from Illinois, I had a choice. I could live closer to work in Maryland or I could commute some and live in Virginia. Having grown up in Virginia, I knew that there was a totally different mind set when you cross the Potomac River going north. The decision was very easy to live on the Virginia side. Do not get me wrong, Maryland is a beautiful State with great people. But the political perspectives and intrusive mindset of the Maryland government, is one I can easily live without. I can certainly understand why the western part of Maryland would like to secede to form their own State.

Last edited:
I guess I was wrong... This has been the rule all along even for off the farm sales of live poultry even though you have to did to find it. It is ILLEGAL to sell a chicken in MD that isn't meeting the NPIP standards. "Anyone who sells or distributes eggs or live poultry in Maryland must meet NPIP standards and hold a permit from MDA; however, many chicks are sold online and delivered through the mail by uncertified and unapproved hatcheries. The practice is not only illegal but can be deadly to your flock. Healthy flocks can be ravaged by one sick chick brought in from an unapproved source." -Nancy Chapman

So selling a chicken on here without the proper testing is illegal!! You must first pay a tester to come and test the hen you wish to sell for a disease that hasn't been in MD for decades but, don't worry about MG, MS, ILT, Infectios bronchitis or any of those common diseases.. geez And, what giving away a free rooster? do you have to pay to have him tested before you give him away?

link: http://somd.com/news/headlines/2011/14082.shtml

But the political perspectives and intrusive mindset of the Maryland government, is one I can easily live without. I can certainly understand why the western part of Maryland would like to secede to form their own State.
There is a running joke that WV and PA are the land of the MD political refugees! lol I guess we should include VA. I know plenty who have fled.

Most of the problem is there is no one to make a stand or otherwise complain. Most don't want to rock the boat but, with networking so readily available, we as a group do have the opportunity to speak and be heard. I have organized group of about 30 Marylanders and we are growing. We want to work with the regulation authorities but, let them know their current rules are not reasonable. There has to be a way to assist biosecurity in a way that doesn't inflict pain on our wallets or occupy large amounts of time. Every time a tester comes here, it's an all day process. ..if you can find one! It's not free and it is NOT the tester's responsibility to be nice and give me a break. They paid for the class, they pay for the antigen and some supplies, gas, travel time and in the field time. Handing them a 20 spot and a big thanks isn't reasonable.

There is a running joke that WV and PA are the land of the MD political refugees! lol I guess we should include VA. I know plenty who have fled.

Most of the problem is there is no one to make a stand or otherwise complain. Most don't want to rock the boat but, with networking so readily available, we as a group do have the opportunity to speak and be heard. I have organized group of about 30 Marylanders and we are growing. We want to work with the regulation authorities but, let them know their current rules are not reasonable. There has to be a way to assist biosecurity in a way that doesn't inflict pain on our wallets or occupy large amounts of time. Every time a tester comes here, it's an all day process. ..if you can find one! It's not free and it is NOT the tester's responsibility to be nice and give me a break. They paid for the class, they pay for the antigen and some supplies, gas, travel time and in the field time. Handing them a 20 spot and a big thanks isn't reasonable.
I hear your pain and truly wish you the best. If lived on the Maryland side of the river, I probably would be joining you.

Do Maryland testers have to pay for the class? In Virginia, the class is provided for the initial and renewal certifications at no charge. It is free. The State wants people to join the program because it is not a burden and easy with which to work.

Im in the farm country of Carroll co. Taneytown MD :)

Anybody here in Maryland interested in some welsummer eggs to hatch?? 5 bucks for now. Real nice and dark

In the top pic.. To the left is the eggs from my Marans and to the right is the eggs I am getting from my Welsummers..

Sure hope to see my Marans getting darker lol right now I think my Welsummers got them beat :)

Back
Top Bottom