MARYLAND THREAD!

People stop all the time to look at the birds,its been a positive experience.We called the Town before getting chickens and they said that their were no laws against it.We just didn't get a rooster because of the noise,but I wish we could have one.I haven't posted pictures.I built my chicken house myself.Its not based off any particular design but works great for us.Believe its eight feet long,five feet tall.Then the chicken yard is surrounded by a five foot fence.We have a Pigeon pen built next to that.Its fifteen feet long,nine feet wide and five feet tall.Half is roofed with a nesting room built under it.Your welcome to check it out sometime if you need ideas.

Hi - I am looking into buying feed locally as well… there is a Southern States store nearby, but their organic pellets are upwards of $30 per bag… anyone have ideas for how to feed the chickens naturally/organically on a budget and possibly with local providers?? thanks!!

cmhudson33- Have you tried Tractor Supply? They sell all different types of chicken feed as well as chicken health products. as far as organic or natural feed - it will take a lot of work on your part to make natural feed. Here's a few articles I found:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/home.../poultry-feed-zmaz10fmzraw.aspx#axzz30s2AHD60

http://smallfarm.about.com/od/chickens/a/How-To-Make-Your-Own-Chicken-Or-Poultry-Feed.htm

Just google "feeding chickens naturally... hope this helps.
Also try Meyers Feed in Upper Marlboro. The owner is very friendly towards backyard flocks. That's where I buy my Blue Seal feed. But he will usually order anything you want.

Also try Meyers Feed in Upper Marlboro. The owner is very friendly towards backyard flocks. That's where I buy my Blue Seal feed. But he will usually order anything you want.

Is Meyers Feed the place behind the 7-11 off 301? I went into town a few weeks ago and stopped in there on my way home to get some waterfowl feed (they didn't have any). I started to check out the chicks and I was taken aback when most all of them had pasty butt. I brought it to the ladies attention. She said, "I just let them pick it off. Sometimes, I will pull off what I can." I told her it will kill them. She just shrugged her shoulders. I took pictures of it. She didn't seem to care. I was so upset that I left. I will NEVER go back there. Not even for feed. I called later in the day and left a message for the manager. Still waiting for a response. Just my opinion... if they don't care enough to care for a living thing.... then I don't care to give them my money.

Hey guys I'm going to follow my buddy Chick Magnet's lead and offer up my trapping services. I'm on the eastern shore in Eden. If you're in the area I'd be happy to keep your fox and coon population down free of charge.

We have a small flock of seven hens. I'd like to free range them but we keep them closed in due to the neighbors and their dogs. It sure has been fun having chickens over the past few years.

Is Meyers Feed the place behind the 7-11 off 301? I went into town a few weeks ago and stopped in there on my way home to get some waterfowl feed (they didn't have any). I started to check out the chicks and I was taken aback when most all of them had pasty butt. I brought it to the ladies attention. She said, "I just let them pick it off. Sometimes, I will pull off what I can." I told her it will kill them. She just shrugged her shoulders. I took pictures of it. She didn't seem to care. I was so upset that I left. I will NEVER go back there. Not even for feed. I called later in the day and left a message for the manager. Still waiting for a response. Just my opinion... if they don't care enough to care for a living thing.... then I don't care to give them my money.
No that is a Southern States store. Meyers is a family owned place a couple of miles north on 301. I think the intersection is Village Road. It's an old Victorian farmhouse. You have to google the address. The feedstore is in the back.

Hey guys I'm going to follow my buddy Chick Magnet's lead and offer up my trapping services. I'm on the eastern shore in Eden. If you're in the area I'd be happy to keep your fox and coon population down free of charge.

We have a small flock of seven hens. I'd like to free range them but we keep them closed in due to the neighbors and their dogs. It sure has been fun having chickens over the past few years.

wee.gif
No way you are in Eden? maybe you are my neighbor LOL. where in Eden are you if you don't mind? I'm on Campground rd near the Ferry.

No that is a Southern States store. Meyers is a family owned place a couple of miles north on 301. I think the intersection is Village Road. It's an old Victorian farmhouse. You have to google the address. The feedstore is in the back.

Good to know! Thanks. I will definitely google them cuz I'm having trouble finding good quality waterfowl food.

Back
Top Bottom