MARYLAND THREAD!

Hey again! Anyone in the northern Calvert or southern anne arundel have a welsummer pullets ( the closer to laying the better ) that they would care to part with? Would also entertain a silkie or maybe a marans. As long as it isn't a roo. :) love the welsummers for their eggs and silkies for their general appearance and fun factor.

Just wanted to share my frustration about my visit to Bowman’s North Glade feedstore in Keymar yesterday. This is what happened:

I needed Blue Seal organic chick grower feed. I called the store (which is about 20 miles from my house) to check that they had it in stock. The young lady who answered the phone said they had it so I headed out. I paid and they loaded it in my car. When I got home I opened one bag and saw that it was layer pellets, not grower crumbles.

I called them to alert them to the mistake and asked to be refunded for both bags, since it was clearly their mistake. The same young lady answered that they would take the unopened bag but not the open bag. I asked to speak with a manager, she said there was no manager on duty on Saturdays and I should come back next week. I still went back to bring back the unopened bag and get the right feed and it turned out they didn’t have any chick feed. At that point in time I was beyond livid. I had driven 60+ miles for absolutely nothing AND was $30 in the hole.

My husband then suggested that we go to the Westminster store. We got the two bags of grower feed and the folks there had no problem whatsoever to accept my open bag of layer pellets for a full refund. I still have about 100 miles extra on the car that I shouldn’t have had to put on there, but I was gratified to see that the Westminster store at least knows what customer service is.

So moral of the story: Bowman’s feed is a good company, but they should ensure that there are good instructions for the teenagers that man the store in Keymar on Saturdays to deal with problems that arise. The person in Westminster said that the young lady in Keymar should have called the Westminster store for instructions instead of just flat out refusing to take back the bag. In Keymar they were apparently not aware of this. I was resolved never to go back to Bowman’s (and I may never go back to the Keymar store) but as a company they turned out to be ok.

Hey all! I'm just starting out in the world of chickens! I'm in St. Mary's and am looking to start a flock in the next few months. In the meantime, I'm trying to learn all that I can. Any one know of a good place to get chicks down this way? Maybe the farmers market in Charlotte Hall, southern states, or the Amish? I'm looking for a mixed flock of barred rocks, australorps, and buff orpingtons (if possible). Any help would be appreciated! :)

Hey all! I'm just starting out in the world of chickens! I'm in St. Mary's and am looking to start a flock in the next few months. In the meantime, I'm trying to learn all that I can. Any one know of a good place to get chicks down this way? Maybe the farmers market in Charlotte Hall, southern states, or the Amish? I'm looking for a mixed flock of barred rocks, australorps, and buff orpingtons (if possible). Any help would be appreciated! :)
I have some barred rocks that I am brooding right now.

Southern States has rather large minimum order quantities, so it depends on the size of the flock you want.

Amish are great sources, but not if you are interested in pure breed chickens.

I do have a couple Amish friends who have pure breed chickens, that I could vouch for.

Let me know when you are ready to roll and I can probably help you locate birds in the area.

I have some barred rocks that I am brooding right now.  

Southern States has rather large minimum order quantities, so it depends on the size of the flock you want.

Amish are great sources, but not if you are interested in pure breed chickens.

I do have a couple Amish friends who have pure breed chickens, that I could vouch for.  

Let me know when you are ready to roll and I can probably help you locate birds in the area.

Thanks for the info! It is much appreciated! I think that I will start out with a flock of six hens. I had read somewhere that sometimes SS will take a big group order? I think I may actually start my flock in late September/October that way I should have laying hens in the spring. Glad to have another SoMD chicken owner to get advice from!

Thanks for the info! It is much appreciated! I think that I will start out with a flock of six hens. I had read somewhere that sometimes SS will take a big group order? I think I may actually start my flock in late September/October that way I should have laying hens in the spring. Glad to have another SoMD chicken owner to get advice from!
If you are waiting until September, you can also go to the Maryland Poultry Swap in Sharpsburg. There will be dozens of breeders like myself that bring chicks and pullets to that swap. It's also a good place to get hens that didn't quite make the cut for breeders but will be excellent layers.

Or if you don't want to wait until then, send me a PM. I am in Upper Marlboro and currently have 17 different rare breeds that I keep. And if I don't have the breed you are looking for, I may know a breeder in Maryland or Virginia that might.

If you are waiting until September, you can also go to the Maryland Poultry Swap in Sharpsburg.  There will be dozens of breeders like myself that bring chicks and pullets to that swap.  It's also a good place to get hens that didn't quite make the cut for breeders but will be excellent layers.

Or if you don't want to wait until then, send me a PM.  I am in Upper Marlboro and currently have 17 different rare breeds that I keep.  And if I don't have the breed you are looking for, I may know a breeder in Maryland or Virginia that might.

Ok awesome! Thanks a bunch! I'll have to check out the swap. Sounds like a good time. I really do appreciate all the advice!

Also, if you are interested in Barred Rocks, the ones I'm brooding will have a good start by September or October and with any luck I'll have a few pullets that I will be looking to sell.

You are about to enbark on an awesome journey. Just be careful or chicken math will eat you alive (says the guy who is currently brooding 30 chicks while making plans for the pens and runs he still needs to build for them).

Also, if you are interested in Barred Rocks, the ones I'm brooding will have a good start by September or October and with any luck I'll have a few pullets that I will be looking to sell.

You are about to enbark on an awesome journey.  Just be careful or chicken math will eat you alive (says the guy who is currently brooding 30 chicks while making plans for the pens and runs he still needs to build for them).

Haha yeah, I have have a feeling six may turn into many more. Yeah I'm definitely interested in barred rocks. They are very pretty birds, and from what I've read, they are pretty docile birds. Any advice on where to get feed in SoMD? SS, Amish, TSC?

Haha yeah, I have have a feeling six may turn into many more. Yeah I'm definitely interested in barred rocks. They are very pretty birds, and from what I've read, they are pretty docile birds. Any advice on where to get feed in SoMD? SS, Amish, TSC?
I feed Blue Seal and get it from Myers feed in Upper Marlboro. I buy 10-15 bags a month but I know he will do smaller sizes as well.

Back
Top Bottom