MARYLAND THREAD!

I wouldn't mind a swap/trade of some kind. I had intended to keep the Poulets because I probably only have 5 from what I was told. But I do want to have them hatch Their own and see how it goes.
I'm new to chickens and would like to have a local connection to learn from. I have allot I want to learn.

PM me and we can swap info and see what we can work out if you are interested.
Thanks

Hey from Harford County!
I was told that they considered pets here. So as long as I have no more than 5 pets, and have no structures closer than 50` from the property line I'm good. Guess what I'm doing and have.

Last edited:
4 roos and 1 hen?
big_smile.png

Does anyone know what type of sand to use for a run? I know not to use play sand and i have to pick masonry or concete sand... i am thinking concrete, but am unsure.

Ive been told builders sand, or something, but couldnt find it anywhere! Basically, you want a WASHED sand. Currently Im using sand I found at HD, not happy with it, but I suspect thats because my coop doesnt let it get deep enough, and Ive been struggling with cleaning it...but thats just me...

It seems to me both concrete sand and masonry sand are builders or construction sand... both are washed, both have pebbles in it... I seems to me that the masonry is finer and would be too fine for the chickens, then again, I have seen some masonry sand that looks just like concrete sand. Mass confusion... Marty has a friend in concrete.. I will ask about his and see if it sounds like the correct one... I am over analyzing, I know... probably both are ok... today was the chicken caboodle's first day in their run, so I need to make a decision ASAP.

It seems to me both concrete sand and masonry sand are builders or construction sand... both are washed, both have pebbles in it... I seems to me that the masonry is finer and would be too fine for the chickens, then again, I have seen some masonry sand that looks just like concrete sand. Mass confusion... Marty has a friend in concrete.. I will ask about his and see if it sounds like the correct one... I am over analyzing, I know... probably both are ok... today was the chicken caboodle's first day in their run, so I need to make a decision ASAP.
I'd love to hear what you choose! I got what I could find at HD...of course I only looked in the outdoor/garden section, it was a week later I saw there was some in the wood, etc area. Keep me updated, would love to hear your results, thoughts, etc. All I could stick with was 'washed' cause thats all I could find!

There is no such thing as "construction" sand around here... I bought 2 bags of Kolorscape All Purpose sand from our Farm Supply store... No one at Lowes or Home Depot deliver larger quantities here... We have a friend in the concrete business and I am having concrete sand delivered here... I think this is what I want... he said the masonry sand is very fine... not good for the chicks, I don't think. I didn't like the sand I got from the farm store and it was very expensive too... I hope I like the concrete sand better. This is a bit frustrating. I am getting lots and will have fill in sand leftover to replenish as the year goes on.

Back
Top Bottom