MARYLAND THREAD!

Anyone in the Southern Maryland area have any hens that they need to re-home? Two of our eight chickens turned out to be Roos, we adore both and don't want to get rid of either so are trying to add more hens to the flock!

Hello. Garrett co here. In search of some O.E /American fowl or comparable. Standard and bantam. Chicks or very young mixed sex. Would take a standard roo close to breeding age. Want roos and hens to breed. Had several young hens given to me. Trying to fill my coop before winter. Thanks

Hi! I'm new here as well. We live in Clarksville, MD. No chickens yet but have done tons of research and picked out type of coop I want to build. Anyone in my area and have either built a Woods style open air type coop or doing deep litter? Suggestions on the best breeds for laying for a newbie would be great too!

Hi! I'm new here as well. We live in Clarksville, MD. No chickens yet but have done tons of research and picked out type of coop I want to build. Anyone in my area and have either built a Woods style open air type coop or doing deep litter? Suggestions on the best breeds for laying for a newbie would be great too!

Welcome! I won't be able to help you with the coop part but the breeds I certainly can. If you want consistent brown egg layers barred rocks, buff orpingtons, new hampshires and Rhode Island reds are all good breeds. Marans lay really dark brown eggs and ameracauna' lay blue eggs.

I built a 9 x 12 coop with roosting rafters a 7ft so the girls have lots of space I made the base out of used railroad ties and the built a basic pole building on them, I had a lot of steel siding left from a building project, I put a corrugated plastic white peaked roof on it and installed end wall vents and soffitt vents I screened off the soffit vents to prevent the girls from laying in them . I got 20 nest boxes from an old commercial chicken house and modified them to mount on the walls , made a 36 by 72 door out of oak fence boards since I had them. wish I had pine boards it would be a lot lighter. I did use an insulation between the steel and boards and again between the osb and boards inside so I've captured a 4" airspace I had a 24 x 30 window I installed in one wall and i put a 20" box fan on one end vent it circulates air and vents well I put in a pop door for this winter to help them conserve some heat. They just started laying 3 weeks ago and out of 18 hens I am getting 10 to 12 eggs a day now they are still a little small but getting larger every day. Have 2 roosters harrassing the girls and it gets a little noisy the first few days but has settled down now. The floor I put down about 10" stone dust and spread a layer of 2" concrete sand on top. They spread enough straw on their own and it doesn't smell and easy to clean and stays dry. My girls are 1 Rhode Island Red, 1 Leghorn and 16 Black Sexlinks, the 2 roosters I have no idea but they are good looking guys. The coop only took 2 days to build with only one helper. Good luck I'm having a blast with them never new they ate so much. If you get up to Martinsburg I'm just south of town on rt 11.

Happy Weekend Everyone!

I live in NOVA but am originally from MD. I have been on an unsuccessful journey to find Showgirls and thought I'd post here. I'm just so surprised how difficult it's been. If anyone knows of a breeder please let me know. I also have Blue and Lavender Ameraucana that I'd like to add new birds to....and am searching for Splash Ameraucana (yes, I know...technically Easter Eggers) :)

Happy Weekend Everyone!

I live in NOVA but am originally from MD. I have been on an unsuccessful journey to find Showgirls and thought I'd post here. I'm just so surprised how difficult it's been. If anyone knows of a breeder please let me know. I also have Blue and Lavender Ameraucana that I'd like to add new birds to....and am searching for Splash Ameraucana (yes, I know...technically Easter Eggers) :)

I bought one at the Sharpsburg poultry swap. There is another coming up on the 3rd.

Back
Top Bottom