Votes: 311 51.6%
  • crumbles

Votes: 213 35.3%
  • mash

Votes: 46 7.6%
  • other, please post what it is!

Votes: 33 5.5%

• Total voters
I started mine off with crumbles~until about 6months. At that point I slowly switched them to pellets. On pellets they seem to eat less, waste less and forage more! This weekend they will be switched to an all natural, non-GMO feed that looks good enough for ME to eat!

That's my idea. If they are eating healthy, then I am eating healthy when eating their eggs!!

Quote:
highfive.gif

I feed a combination. I start out with starter/grower until they are about five to six months old. Then I move them to a combination of feed. They have a separate feeder for the laying crumbles and a larger feeder with game bird feed. It's grain based, and there is a lot less waste. The protein is the same...16% minimum! and the birds love it. They also free range every day. The eggs are large for first time layers, and the shells are nice and thick. If they don't like one feed, they have the other. Even the silkies love the game bird!

I feed a combination. I start out with starter/grower until they are about five to six months old. Then I move them to a combination of feed. They have a separate feeder for the laying crumbles and a larger feeder with game bird feed. It's grain based, and there is a lot less waste. The protein is the same...16% minimum! and the birds love it. They also free range every day. The eggs are large for first time layers, and the shells are nice and thick. If they don't like one feed, they have the other. Even the silkies love the game bird!
good idea, I never thought of offering two types of feed at the same time.

I'm feeding 16% Purina Layena now for the winter. For some reason the eggs seem to have more flavor when they are fed Layena. In the summer I go to a higher protein feed when the heat discourages them from eating; in the winter, more carbohydrates for energy to keep them warm.

I will add more BOSS, a little scratch and some dry cat food. Not much, but a little. I also always feed table scraps...what's good for them, and veggies I can find on sale. Ok...ok...they are a little spoiled.

I use mesh from a small mill local in upstate South Carolina she puts no filler, medication or pesticides in it. My chickens made a mess when the feeder was on the ground so I cut a 6 inch disc out of a pine log and set my feeder on that. I have almost no waste now. They can't scratch so it stays in the feeder. I will say that it needs to be solid. I tried to hang it but I think the swinging motion brings out their playful side.

Back
Top Bottom