Mash Questions

Empathy

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 8, 2010
Greetings All -

Remember, there are no stupid questions
wink.png
But I have one that I'm sure is dangerously close to being just that: MASH.

I have read over and over about feeding chickens a "mash". From what I have seen, mash is not an exact formula, but can be a mixture of a variety of things - such as layer crumbles mixed with yogurt, or cooked oatmeal, etc.... I've read that one of the good things about a "mash" is that it can be appealing to sickly or injured chickens, and can also be a way to get them to eat foods such as yogurt, which my Vet actually advocated as a treat for them.

So the question is - what exactly is mash (i.e., your variety, or a recipe that you've found and is appealing) and why or how often do you use it? Just looking to learn more than I'm seeing in the books.

Incidentally, I did try mixing their crumbles with yogurt once; and they all looked at me like I had lost my mind. (Seriously, I could hear their little sarcastic clucks: "Really?! Mushy pasty stuff?! C'mon lady, give us some of the real stuff - like those tasty grapes!")

Thanks in advance....have a wonderful day,
~Empathy

I *think* that mash, crumbles, and pellets refer to texture of their feed. Mash is the finest/powdery-est and can be fed wet or dry...that's what I've gathered from my reading anyhow

Well isn't that interesting - I hadn't gathered that from my reading! Thanks for your responses, hope you have a nice day :)

~Empathy

Nurturingnaturally would be correct. Mash is ground feed, usually sourced from a local grain elevator. Pellets are just as it sounds, pelleted feed. And crumbles are in between and also just as they sound.

Most people don't feed mash because it's got a bad reputation of being easily wasted by the birds. And it is easily wasted if fed in most chicken feeders you find in TSC and the like, but when fed from a feeder with a deep basin they don't waste any more than with any other texture feed.

You're right that people will often call a wet mixture for a sick or injured bird a "mash". As in, "make her up a mash of yogurt and layer crumbles and see if she'll eat that." but that usage if mash is different than just as in a "laying mash" which is a type of everyday feed.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom