Mashed potatoes w/o touching a potato peeler!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Kassaundra, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    I stumbled across this idea, out of desperation and extreme hatred of peeling potatoes. I have tried it several times and it has worked wonderfully so I thought I would share.

Wash you potatoes, prick them w/ knife or fork, place them whole in the microwave. I start the time at 5 minutes then add usually 2-3 minutes depending on how many/size of potatoes. When they are done (can squeeze then and you feel them break apart all the way through the potato) take them out pierce w/ a fork then take any knife (even butter knife) and pull the peeling off, it will come off extremely easy it has already seperated from the meat. (piercing the potato w/ the fork is just to serve as a handle while you peel the skin off) Then mash as you would normally. I don't know but they may even be healthier as you don't boil all the nutrition out of the potato?

2. GlitterBug

GlitterBug Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    What a good idea! It really it no fun peeling loads of potatoes around either.

Thanks for sharing this. [​IMG]

3. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Good idea if you absolutely cannot have skins in your mashed potatoes.

I'm even lazier {coughcough} I mean more Economic of My Energy & just leave the peels on.
    After all, a lot of the nutrition is in that skin!

4. country freedom

country freedom Chillin' With My Peeps

My family loves mashed 'taters!
    I only use one 'tater per person.

5. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I never touch a potato peeler - I just tell hubby to peel them! If I'm cookin' he's helpin'

6. backdoorchicken

backdoorchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    newport news va
    i love LOVE mashed taters

i can eat 3 pounds of it in one sitting. skins and all.

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    We have mashed potatoes for Sunday dinner every week. And I peel every potatoe.

Early in our marriage we just cooked them with the skins on and ate them skins and all, then the kids came along and got picky and we started peeling them. Doesn't take that long.

8. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    Quote:I do that w/ apple pie, my husband's favorite pie, I will make it but he has to peel, core, and slice the apples.

9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'm in the eat the peel group. Haven't peeled a potato for myself in years.

10. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:I'm with you. I don't find the skins in mashed potatoes to be at all unpleasant, and it seems more natural to leave them in. Not to mention less time-consuming.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by