We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Mashheads!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by HopeSprings, Jul 9, 2019.

1. HopeSprings

HopeSprings Songster

Feb 3, 2019
    Weaverville, NC
    So, I started making mash per the directions I received here, to use up the fine, dustlike part of their starter feed. Now the spoiled brats expect mash every evening! Is there anything wrong with giving the masses what they want?

Cryss, trumpeting_angel and GC-Raptor like this.
  2. Fairyloop5

Fairyloop5 Songster

May 3, 2019
    Well, if you give them what they want, they will expect it. Give them normal food and when their hungry enough, they will eat it.

noregerts and Cryss like this.
  3. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    :lau Unsure what you're making for their "mash" but you may want to read up on "fermenting" their crumbles. There's a thread on this website and here's another link ...
    https://tikktok.wordpress.com/2014/04/13/fermented-feed-faq/

I stopped doing age feeding and ferment. I works for me & I see a difference in my girls health. I feed for the first month (fermented) Medicated Chick Starter, then gradually switch them to Flock Raiser (fermented). When they start laying add the extra dish of Oyster Shells, haven't had a problem with eggs nor shells. Just remember nothing metal when doing this process, chemical reaction.

I also switched to the Horizontal Water Nipples, no more dirty water nor leaks. There's also threads on it here.

DSC04042.JPG DSC04043.JPG DSC04044.JPG DSC04519.JPG

blackdog043, Bethel_Alaska and Cryss like this.
  4. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Crowing

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    I make a watery mash with the powder from the bottom of the feed bag like you do. Nothing wrong with it. I use cold water from the fridge when it's hot outside. 20180705_135516.jpg . I find it keeps up egg production in the summer. GC

5. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Free Ranging

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    Another option if you don't want to give it to them daily, is save up the fines for a few days, then serve it. But if they're enjoying it, it's perfectly fine to feed it to them daily, just up to you if you feel they're being too pushy or whatnot.

6. Timothy Menezes

Timothy Menezes Songster

Nov 27, 2017
    Monterey, California
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with feeding them wet mash daily.

However, I wouldn't personally do this because if they get to the point where they won't eat it dry then your stuck doing EVERYDAY! For those that have time for this, and it gives them pleasure, go right ahead. I totally understand this.

I do NOT have the time, my wife and I work full time on different shifts. I don't have the time to chase around my three little kids and cater to my birds whims. I toss them a treat now and then, but that's it.

Cryss and trumpeting_angel like this.
  7. Cryss

Cryss Free Ranging

Nov 12, 2017
    Northwest New Jersey
    When I was a kid I stayed with my Aunt for a week one summer. One evening as she was cooking dinner I informed her i didn't like what she was making. I asked for an alternate. Her answer? "This isn't a restaurant." That stuck with me more than if she had said "You eat what I give you or go without."
    You can put as much work into the feed as you feel comfortable doing. As long as they are getting proper nutrition there is no wrong.

GC-Raptor likes this.
  8. HopeSprings

HopeSprings Songster

Feb 3, 2019
    Weaverville, NC
    Making a mash is no problem and they're eating the dry in the morning, so as long as it's okay, I'll keep serving it. They really do enjoy it!
    As far as fermenting, I don't have time for that right now, but maybe after frost and the garden slows down!

9. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    There's nothing wrong with wet mash daily. That's what I do. Sometimes I may soak the feed overnight just for convenience, but a lot of times I soak it for around 30 minutes each morning.
    I don't ferment.
    I do make dry feed available as well. Mine eat both.

HopeSprings likes this.
  10. trudyg

trudyg Songster

Jun 3, 2013
    North Alabama
    Mine eat everything, even mice or voles. I ferment when I have the time, summer we have so much company that I don't bother. Will start back soon since my last company leave next Tuesday. They seem healthier with fermented.

HopeSprings likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: