MASSACHUSETTS -- haha hope i spelled that right .. Question though?

I'm right down the road from you, in the Boroughs off Rte 9.

-Yes, you will have predators. Lots. Coyotes, fisher cats, possums, raccoons, foxes, rats. Read as much as you can in the "Predators and Pests" forum to find more info on how to predator-proof your coop. On the plus side, the Mass. Dept. of Ag. tells me that I am allowed to shoot anything that goes after my chickens.

-I highly recommend getting a breed with a pea comb or at least a smallish comb. Look on Feathersite or Henderson's Chicken Breed Chart for breeds marked "cold hardy." I got Buttercups, whose combs are susceptible to frostbite. Both of my boys lost a couple of points on their combs despite having a flat panel heater and a completely enclosed barn.

-About those flat panel heaters: yes, they work, my chickens all roost around it at night. Hope you don't mind a $150 increase in your electric bill, though, because it WILL be on continuously for three months straight. Honestly, I think economics-wise it's better to get cold-hardy breeds with small combs and spend your heating money on water defrosters/heated water bowls. If there is one thing I hated this winter, it was getting up 45 minutes earlier in the pitch-black to defrost the waterer. My mother got me heated water bowls, and it was the best thing ever.

-Whether or not the girls will find one man too much for them to handle, whether or not they wish to go out in 3 feet of snow, depends much on what kind of chickens you get and their individual personalities. I have some that are very aggressive girls who tolerate 2 roosters to one hen. I have some that are very passive and need saddles to keep any feathers on their backs at all from the boys mounting them. I have one adventurous hen who doesn't mind snow one bit, but the others take one look at the snow and say, "we'll stay in here, next to our nice warm panel heater, thanks all the same."

-The Dept. of Ag. guy will come visit you to check on your chickens. It's not a big deal. He just looks at them to see if they have any obvious diseases, then gives you a piece of paper saying they are healthy. I do suggest getting the Marek's vaccination from wherever you get chicks.

-Tufts in Grafton has good avian vets, should you run into any emergencies. They are expensive but very good.

Thanks that was some really good information. Do i need to go to City Hall to get anything approved or how do i let the Dept of Ag. know that i have chickens??

Quote:
3hours away? i thought you said you lived in worcester? If that is so, try 45 minutes. I am thinking you must not be driving yet? LOL

Oh hahahah ... i must have looked at the map wrong lol, lord knows i inherited my moms sense of direction. Okay so 45 minutes away not three hours, i was only two hours and 15 minutes off haha. Im getting my permit next week. Or i will be trying to get it
fl.gif

I will be going to City Hall soon
but does anyone know of laws against chickens?
Or just anything i should know?

My flat panel heater is on a thermo cube and my coop is also insulated, it goes on at 35 degrees and off at 45 degrees, it did not really increase my electric bill.
As for a rooster, a bantam will protect your girls but probably not have the ability to pester them as long as they are full size. The laws you may find are probably zoning and how close to the property line with the coop...

No, the Dept. of Ag. guy just showed up at my house on his own. I didn't have to call them or anything, they just dropped by and said they heard my chickens clucking, could they have a look.

As near as I can tell, Worcester doesn't have any specific regulations about livestock or poultry whatsoever. Think you're probably in the clear there, although it wouldn't hurt to check with city hall.

Quote:
Are you being sarcastic hahah ??

And yes im going to City Hall first thing tomorow

Galxox, I'm late getting in on this discussion of keeping chickens in cold winters, but I thought I'd add that I have four Buff Orps in a small coop that I close up at night. The walls are insulated, and when I open the door in the morning, the inside of the coop is always much warmer than the outside because of the heat of the hen's bodies and breathing.

As far as ventilation, we have two vents at the eaves of the coop, but the rest of the coop is pretty much draft-free.

Heavier breeds do better in New England.

Back
Top Bottom