Massive Egg Why? + Guess how many yolks! (PICS)

I think I'd candle it too, then I'd try to blow it out to save the shell
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
If she is a new layer she is just working through some kinks in her reproductive system. Double yolkers are quite common in the beginning.

If she is older (has been laying for more than several months), it may be due to overeating or too high a percentage of protein.

We have 2500 red sex links here and watch egg size and feed intake rather closely. The first year we started this business we didn't manage the feed too closely and took some poor advice from folks in our cooperative. As a result the hens were overfed much of the time (too much protein) and the average egg size grew rapidly. It was not uncommon to see a number of 4 oz eggs that first year. Our largest was the size of a small orange and weighed 4.95 ounces (140 grams). By the end of the first year over 40% of our eggs were Jumbo sized or larger.

Since then, I have learned to manage the feed a little better, starting new pullets at around 18% protein and slowly lowering the protein to about 16% as we go into the depths of winter when they are eating more. Our current flock has been laying for about five months now and due to better feed management the eggs are averaging at a Large weight with around 3% just breaking into the Super Jumbo range (2.75 ounces), much better than the first year.

We sell all of our Super Jumbos from the farm and our customers noted that in the beginning the Super Jumbo eggs we were selling were almost all double-yolkers, but towards the end of our production year, they weren't double-yolkers, but just really big eggs.

So, take from that what you can. I'm not saying you need to monitor things as closely as I do, or cut them back on feed, but there are observations there that are pertinent to your question.

Quote:
If she is a new layer she is just working through some kinks in her reproductive system. Double yolkers are quite common in the beginning.

If she is older (has been laying for more than several months), it may be due to overeating or too high a percentage of protein.

We have 2500 red sex links here and watch egg size and feed intake rather closely. The first year we started this business we didn't manage the feed too closely and took some poor advice from folks in our cooperative. As a result the hens were overfed much of the time (too much protein) and the average egg size grew rapidly. It was not uncommon to see a number of 4 oz eggs that first year. Our largest was the size of a small orange and weighed 4.95 ounces (140 grams). By the end of the first year over 40% of our eggs were Jumbo sized or larger.

Since then, I have learned to manage the feed a little better, starting new pullets at around 18% protein and slowly lowering the protein to about 16% as we go into the depths of winter when they are eating more. Our current flock has been laying for about five months now and due to better feed management the eggs are averaging at a Large weight with around 3% just breaking into the Super Jumbo range (2.75 ounces), much better than the first year.

We sell all of our Super Jumbos from the farm and our customers noted that in the beginning the Super Jumbo eggs we were selling were almost all double-yolkers, but towards the end of our production year, they weren't double-yolkers, but just really big eggs.

So, take from that what you can. I'm not saying you need to monitor things as closely as I do, or cut them back on feed, but there are observations there that are pertinent to your question.

Thanks! That's a lot of great info!
Now.... I think 2!
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom