Massive humidity drop with pipping chick

Thank you so much. I did as you suggested and pulled off the little chips. The membrane was totally dry but had a tiny sliver in it. I started putting the coconut oil on the membrane and a bit of it pulled off. It was over her beak though, no blood vessels attached. She was moving and cheeping a bit but looks really tired. Humidity is back up to 64% and still rising a tad. Hopefully this will help her. None of the other eggs have pipped but they were moving when I candled them. It’s a good thing I own my own business and work from home. I can’t see someone being ok with me taking days off to handle all my chicken drama. I swear, it’s “One Life to Cluck” over here. Maybe “All My Clucks”? Sigh. Thank you again.
I put a heart on this post, but you cracked me up. I intended to just reply to your original post with something like don't kick yourself as all of us make mistakes or have catastrophies from time to time so that's normal really. It was that way as well when I was raising my sons. I think your eggs will be fine.

But to this 👇...oh my, just too funny! :lau
It’s a good thing I own my own business and work from home. I can’t see someone being ok with me taking days off to handle all my chicken drama. I swear, it’s “One Life to Cluck” over here. Maybe “All My Clucks”? Sigh.

I put a heart on this post, but you cracked me up. I intended to just reply to your original post with something like don't kick yourself as all of us make mistakes or have catastrophies from time to time so that's normal really. It was that way as well when I was raising my sons. I think your eggs will be fine.

But to this 👇...oh my, just too funny! :lau
🤣 Thank you Debbie! I felt like the cheese was sliding off my cracker today! #4 is out and cheeping LOUDLY. #5 is pipped. My husband called from out of town to check on me. I told him the whole story (including the staggered hatch) and he started laughing hysterically. We started trading soap opera names. His favorite was ”As the Cluck Turns”. And you know what? He’s right. This is just my luck and I can only laugh. So far everyone seems to be fine despite the days of mishaps. Thank you all for helping me! I think I need a Calgon-take-me-away moment now! 🤣

Attachments

• IMG_9196.jpeg
    IMG_9196.jpeg
    267.4 KB · Views: 3
Thank you. I’m hysterical right now. I’ve done probably twenty hatches and never had anything like this happen. They’ve always been smooth sailing, and this time I’ve had every possible issue pop up. I’ll be devastated if I killed the rest. Nature is nature, but this time it was totally my fault.
Don't panic too much about humidity. Do you think that in nature the hen controls the humidity like people do with all the fancy technology?
I had eggs hatching in the coop, even though the hen stopped sitting on them during the day.
Few days after first 2 chicks hatched, broody would leave the nest and go outside with the little ones. Few days later I was surprised by seeing 4 chicks, then 6 and then 8.
The temperature here was well above 90F in the afternoons, but humidity below 50%.

Don't panic. Nature isn't built on Swiss precision.

How is it going?
Lol, well, we have six now as of last night. Talk about a staggered hatch! The first one is still separated because it keeps picking on the others, so I’m pretty sure it’s a rooster. The rest have hatched at least a day apart each, with the sixth four days later. That one is still in the incubator drying off. It looks like I’m going to have to move everyone but the first one to the outdoor brooder because the cage isn’t really ideal for that many chicks. We got it with the intention of only keeping Rocky in there! I really didn’t want to with the temperature drying, but i don’t have another cage to keep them in. My outdoor brooder is a big converted horse trough I keep in my tack room. So far everyone seems healthy, and there’s at least two roosters judging by attitude and feather pattern. But all in all, not bad for a super stressful hatch!

Back
Top Bottom