Massive humidity drop with pipping chick

JackieDohoney

Chirping
Jan 19, 2020
šŸ˜­ This is the worst hatch Iā€™ve ever had! My first chick was attacked and hatched two days early. Two other chicks hatched yesterday and when I put them in the brooder with the first (Rocky) started attacking them. She just wouldnā€™t stop, even with toys, drawings on the brooder, and me playing mama hen to discipline her. I got them separated with chicken wire thanks to one of my sons. But I didnā€™t realize when I took the top off the incubator that I didnā€™t quite get it seated! And another chick was pipping and at least two more are close! Everyone still looks like they are alive but the humidity dropped to 38% for about fifteen minutes give or take. I refilled the reservoir with a quickness and humidity has climbed to only 55%. Iā€™m so overwhelmed. I canā€™t stop crying. Iā€™ve done MANY hatches and have never had anything like this happen. Mama abandoned he eggs after the attack and they are all hatching at wildly different times. I mean days apart. The rest of the babies are going to die and itā€™s all my fault! šŸ˜­šŸ˜­šŸ˜­šŸ˜­

Attachments

• D8CEF936-9030-449F-8E1E-711596069CE1.jpeg
    D8CEF936-9030-449F-8E1E-711596069CE1.jpeg
    363.6 KB · Views: 61
Hi! Sending warm hugs! Hatching eggs is anxiety ridden work. It sounds like you have a staggered hatch. Wait 24 hours before assisting, but 15 minutes won't hurt them. šŸ’—
Thank you. Iā€™m hysterical right now. Iā€™ve done probably twenty hatches and never had anything like this happen. Theyā€™ve always been smooth sailing, and this time Iā€™ve had every possible issue pop up. Iā€™ll be devastated if I killed the rest. Nature is nature, but this time it was totally my fault.

Do you have coconut oil?
Vaseline as a second choice, Neosporin / triple antibiotic ointment (no pain killer) third, olive oil as a far fourth (it needs to be applied much more often- you are going to need to be on membrane watch...)

I would not ā€œassistā€ much, but I would grab some q tips and quickly pull each pipped egg out, pop off the loose pieces of shell, add some ā€œmoisturizerā€ to the exposed membrane, inside and outside of the membrane ....I might actually also carefully pull back a tiny bit more of the shell if i didnā€™t see the beak at the opening while trying to ā€œlubeā€ the membrane and I didnā€™t see any red veins in the area....

Pop the egg back in quickly and grab the next.

Rinse and repeat.

You can add some *warm* (warm as, or slightly more warm than your bator temp) water to some pieces of cut up sponge, or rolled up paper towels, to get that humidity back where it needs to be more quickly.

You can also pull out a few of the pieces of sponge/ ppr towels once you are finished and humidity stabilizes again šŸ„°

Donā€™t panic. And best of luck to your babies šŸ’•

Do you have coconut oil?
Vaseline as a second choice, Neosporin / triple antibiotic ointment (no pain killer) third, olive oil as a far fourth (it needs to be applied much more often- you are going to need to be on membrane watch...)

I would not ā€œassistā€ much, but I would grab some q tips and quickly pull each pipped egg out, pop off the loose pieces of shell, add some ā€œmoisturizerā€ to the exposed membrane, inside and outside of the membrane ....I might actually also carefully pull back a tiny bit more of the shell if i didnā€™t see the beak at the opening while trying to ā€œlubeā€ the membrane and I didnā€™t see any red veins in the area....

Pop the egg back in quickly and grab the next.

Rinse and repeat.

You can add some *warm* (warm as, or slightly more warm than your bator temp) water to some pieces of cut up sponge, or rolled up paper towels, to get that humidity back where it needs to be more quickly.

You can also pull out a few of the pieces of sponge/ ppr towels once you are finished and humidity stabilizes again šŸ„°

Donā€™t panic. And best of luck to your babies šŸ’•
I might have some coconut oil in my RV. I did rub warm water on the area where she pipped but tried to close it right away because I already caused so much damage. I canā€™t tell but it doesnā€™t look like thereā€™s a hole in the membrane. But you think I should go ahead and pull it out and get the loose chips off and moisturize?

I might have some coconut oil in my RV. I did rub warm water on the area where she pipped but tried to close it right away because I already caused so much damage. I canā€™t tell but it doesnā€™t look like thereā€™s a hole in the membrane. But you think I should go ahead and pull it out and get the loose chips off and moisturize?
Yes, I would pull the eggs, one at a time, pull loose chips of shell, check viability, and moisturize the membrane, personally.

Warm water on the membrane isnā€™t going to be enough in my opinion/ experience.

The sponge pieces/ paper towel small rolls will help get the humidity in the bator back where it needs to be - but it doesnā€™t help keep membranes soft.

Coconut oil has lasting moisture plus anti microbial effects due to its acidity.
The other options that I mentioned, I ranked based on how long they last before needing to re apply.
Coconut oil and Vaseline -should- last 10-12 hours once you stabilize your humidity. I hate using petroleum products although Vaseline probably would last longer...
Triple antibiotic is usually re applied every 6-8 hours, Olive oil lands somewhere around every 2-4 hrs give or take, depending on the quality of the oil and humidity levels...

If the outer membrane is intact, and no blood vessels are visible, I would -very carefully- poke a hole in it and open it up a tick so you can verify that there is movement/ pipping of the inner membrane, and slather on the coconut oil inside and out of the (outer, next to the shell) membrane if you see signs of life and an internal pip.

You probably also want your preferred candling tool at hand.

Yes, I would pull the eggs, one at a time, pull loose chips of shell, check viability, and moisturize the membrane, personally.

Warm water on the membrane isnā€™t going to be enough in my opinion/ experience.

The sponge pieces/ paper towel small rolls will help get the humidity in the bator back where it needs to be - but it doesnā€™t help keep membranes soft.

Coconut oil has lasting moisture plus anti microbial effects due to its acidity.
The other options that I mentioned, I ranked based on how long they last before needing to re apply.
Coconut oil and Vaseline -should- last 10-12 hours once you stabilize your humidity. I hate using petroleum products although Vaseline probably would last longer...
Triple antibiotic is usually re applied every 6-8 hours, Olive oil lands somewhere around every 2-4 hrs give or take, depending on the quality of the oil and humidity levels...

If the outer membrane is intact, and no blood vessels are visible, I would -very carefully- poke a hole in it and open it up a tick so you can verify that there is movement/ pipping of the inner membrane, and slather on the coconut oil inside and out of the (outer, next to the shell) membrane if you see signs of life and an internal pip.

You probably also want your preferred candling tool at hand.
Thank you so much. I did as you suggested and pulled off the little chips. The membrane was totally dry but had a tiny sliver in it. I started putting the coconut oil on the membrane and a bit of it pulled off. It was over her beak though, no blood vessels attached. She was moving and cheeping a bit but looks really tired. Humidity is back up to 64% and still rising a tad. Hopefully this will help her. None of the other eggs have pipped but they were moving when I candled them. Itā€™s a good thing I own my own business and work from home. I canā€™t see someone being ok with me taking days off to handle all my chicken drama. I swear, itā€™s ā€œOne Life to Cluckā€ over here. Maybe ā€œAll My Clucksā€? Sigh. Thank you again.

Attachments

• 90C92AAA-18FE-4DFD-A342-FDCE3C43384A.jpeg
    90C92AAA-18FE-4DFD-A342-FDCE3C43384A.jpeg
    339.7 KB · Views: 8
I would not be worrying too much about the humidity dropping for a few minutes.
i also WOULD NOT be opening any of the eggs at this point and especially not if they are not zipping already on their own.

15 minutes is not a problem.

Are you sure you know the correct humidity level?
Did you salt test a humidity gauge or are you trusting a reading on an incubator?

I would not be worrying too much about the humidity dropping for a few minutes.
i also WOULD NOT be opening any of the eggs at this point and especially not if they are not zipping already on their own.

15 minutes is not a problem.

Are you sure you know the correct humidity level?
Did you salt test a humidity gauge or are you trusting a reading on an incubator?
As far as I know the humidity is reading correct. It is at 68%. The coconut oil on the membrane seems to have worked. I havenā€™t helped beyond removing those couple of chips and lubricating the membrane. She perked up after a bit and is now almost fully zipped and cheeping away. Another egg has a pip. Looks like the crisis has been averted for now. I will never trust that hen to lay again lol. Not only did she go after her baby and then abandon it, but she had eggs from different times. Next time Iā€™ll have to be more strict with my pet sitter and tell her to make sure she checks every single box!

Back
Top Bottom